LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 7.1 executable on win7 64 bits

Solved!
Go to solution

I've tried with a virtual machine, and it's llok good. It's confirm the problem between 64 bits driver and 32 bits app. I will investigate for more informations.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 42
(1,259 Views)

You've probably already spent more time in engeneering hours than it would've cost to upgrade.  It's an especially tortuous path you choose if you have VISA and/or traditional DAQ. As you go deeper into the development, you find little glitches that you are the result of some obscure upgrade issue - like dlls that are different from WinXP to Win7 - differences that make perfect sense if installing to a new machine but subtly break an application that used the old dll.  Then you finally run into something that you can't resolve.

In my experience, it's best to either upgrade LabVIEW or develop on the operating system it was originally developed on.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 22 of 42
(1,234 Views)

@billko wrote:

In my experience, it's best to either upgrade LabVIEW or develop on the operating system it was originally developed on.

He was going to run into this problem whether he upgraded LabVIEW or not.

It sounds like it was an incompatibility issue with a driver that worked in XP and now doesn't work in Windows 7.

Many companies are running into this.

At my current job the mandate came down from corporate IT that any PC on the corporate network needed to have Windows 7 or newer.

Developing on the original OS is not available. Upgrading LabVIEW won't help if the drivers are not compatible with Windows 7.

Message 23 of 42
(1,218 Views)

nyc wrote:

It sounds like it was an incompatibility issue with a driver that worked in XP and now doesn't work in Windows 7.

And now that MS is no longer selling Windows 7, it is just a matter of (short) time before we will be going through the whole OS upgrade mess again.  I sure miss being able to just use an OS for ~10 years.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 24 of 42
(1,212 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

nyc wrote:

And now that MS is no longer selling Windows 7, it is just a matter of (short) time before we will be going through the whole OS upgrade mess again.  I sure miss being able to just use an OS for ~10 years.

My colleague was telling me that he heard that Windows 10 will be available late next year. What happened to Windows 9 he asked?  😕

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 42
(1,193 Views)

They don't use windows 9 because it could have problems of comprehension with windows 9x. And maybe because 8.1 was in reallity 8+1 !

I agree with you, I should upgrade my LabView version, it must be easier, and it would cost me less time. But I can't make the decision on my own, and I hope my boss will understand, but currently i must continue with my old version. 

I think that the problem is a 32 bits application using 64bits driver won't work. And 32bits on a 64bits OS neither. I will try to explain harder why I need an upgrade haha

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 42
(1,167 Views)

32-bit LabVIEW works fine on a x64 machine.  You should be able to find a 32-bit dll also.  It's more common to have a 32-bit dll and not a 64-bit one than the other way 'round.  There's a good chance that it will have the same functions (especially if they are the same version) and therefore should be a drop-in replacement.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 42
(1,149 Views)

Ok, so i currently have an evalution version of labview 2013, and my project doesn't work on it, VI and subVI aren't compatible. Even the DLL used by usb connection isn't recognize anymore. I don't know if it's really easier to upgrade. 

Do you have tricks to import the program ? To make sure he is using the DLL ? When I show him the path to find the file, it accepte it, but after they says it can't find it.

Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 42
(1,096 Views)

@seedbarrett wrote:

Ok, so i currently have an evalution version of labview 2013, and my project doesn't work on it, VI and subVI aren't compatible. Even the DLL used by usb connection isn't recognize anymore. I don't know if it's really easier to upgrade. 

Do you have tricks to import the program ? To make sure he is using the DLL ? When I show him the path to find the file, it accepte it, but after they says it can't find it.

Thanks everyone.

What do you mean by "VI and subVI aren't compatible"?  All I've ever done to update a project from 7.1 to anything else was make a new project and add the files to it.  You will need to re-specify how to build the executable.  There's an option to convert a build script, but I have no idea how effective it is.  I just completely remake it.

As for the dll, it's probably best to install the driver explicitly.  If there is a folder for 32-bit, run the install from that folder if possible.  The high-level installer might outsmart you and detect a 64-bit OS and install the 64-bit driver.

Believe me, these issues are tiny compared to what you would face by trying to develop some kind of hybrid system.  Especially since you will get no (official) support from NI with said hybrid.

edit

I'm sorry if the first paragraph seemed a little terse.  I meant it as a simple question, not as a disparaging remark.  🙂

/edit

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 42
(1,078 Views)

I know this is tiny issues, i wouldn't imagine start form scratch and do everything on my own. After researchs, I have see that the problem come from a DLL wich isn't compatible apparently. I will try to use 32 bits version of labview 2013 (thanks evaluation period, you saved my life Heart ) to see if it's works like this. I hope, i'm getting tired of all of this problems, I just wanna use labview 😛

I also hope there is no -more- problems with windows 8 and 10 soon, i don't wanna all this troubles again. 

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 42
(1,074 Views)