From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 5

Solved!
Go to solution

What does it means when "block diagram" is grey our in window pull down menu?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,372 Views)

Sorry, I have no longer access to version 5, which is prehistoric, but here are some guesses:

It could mean that the block diagram has been removed. In this case the VI cannot be upgrade to a newer version and can no longer be edited, ever!

It could also mean that the block diagram is password protected.

Do you know who made the VI?

What happens if you press ctrl+e?

Message 2 of 8
(2,369 Views)

Thanks.  Ctrl-E doesn't do anything and there is no sign of hinting it's password protected.

We have a collection of LV codes of various versions.  Original engineer is not with us anymore...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,364 Views)

Danmak

Are you using LabVIEW 5 to open the VI?  Also, is this always an issue, or just when running the VI?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,313 Views)

I need to modify a vi in a llb.  The option to open the diagram is not available after I open the front panel with LV5.  Running it is not an issue (either from .exe. or .llb).   Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,284 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Danmak

Can you post the llb?  If you try to open the VI in a newer version (like 8.2), you may get an error that will give you your answer.  But it is sounding more and more like the VIs were saved with the diagram removed.

What Happens When I Save My VI and Remove Diagrams?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 8
(2,279 Views)

My best guess is definitely that the diagram has been removed, so you are out of luck.

Some important points from here:

Based on that information, it should be clear that once a VI is saved without diagrams:

• You can no longer make any editing changes or view the block diagram. 
  • You cannot open or run the VI on any other version of LabVIEW, older or newer. 
  • You cannot open or run the VI on any other OS.

What happens if you try to open it in a slightly newer version, e.g. 6.1 or 8.2. Can you attach the VI so we can have a look?

Message 7 of 8
(2,273 Views)

I concede this sad truth.  The vi was saved without the diagram.

I happen to locate another llb with a different name and this vi (with diagram) is in there.  I have no idea whether the two llb are the same and I can't take the risk of using the unknown second llb.  I'm going to replace the vi only in LV5 environment.  Wish me luck.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,262 Views)