LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2014 and Windows CE device

Since a long time I am using Labview for creating all kinds of software solutions. Labview gives me the power to create the applications I need in a very fast way.

For a new project I have to create a application for a Windows CE 5.0 device (ICPDAS WP-8831) , but get stuck in the information I find on the web and on the NI site. On the NI site I read that it isn't possible anymore to create applications for Windows CE devices with the newer Labview versions (2013 / 2014) but I read posts of people who are running Labview 2013 applications on a Windows CE 5.0 device.

Please, help me out. Is it possible to create a application for my Windows CE 5.0 device with Labview? We have Labview 7.0, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 available (no seperate the NI Touch Panel Module, but this module isn't sold anymore, because it should be integrated in Labview 2014.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,322 Views)

Hi Wim

as you can see from here
http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374715a.html

Win CE 5.0 is not officially supported by LV 2014.

You should have no problems with LV 7

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,263 Views)

Oke, i'd tried Labiew 7.0, but without results. Do I need additional software from NI to build software for Windows CE?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,192 Views)

Hi Wim,

I have tried to search a little further into this, and I found out that Windows CE is not officially supported by NI.

This means that officially it won't run on it, but, as you found out in your researches, that it might also work.

So there is not really more software to ease up this installation.

I can suggest you to try with another LV version at your disposition, but again, this might work but it's not sure.

The link in my previous post will tell you exactly which Windows edition is supported.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,187 Views)

I have read this also, but the information on the web (and on the NI website) seems very conflicting to me... For example: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4577/en/

This white paper says: As part of this transition, the LabVIEW 2014 development systems support only NI TPC-22xx touch panel computers running Windows Embedded Standard 7 (WES7). But a few lines below I see: You can develop applications using the National Instruments LabVIEW PDA Module to run on any Windows Mobile for Pocket PC OS consumer PDA device and on several Windows CE OS industrial devices, including touch panel computers and rugged handhelds. And the device requirements tells me to have: Windows CE 4.2 or higher.

I have tried to compile a simple test program (just 1 indicator on a front panel) in all (for me) available versions of Labview (7.0, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) on various ways, but without result, but I see people who have management to create software for Windows CE: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=labview+windows+ce

Do you/does anybody have a good idea? Or another development tool to create a program for Windows CE?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,169 Views)

Only the PDA Module could create executables to be deployed to Windows CE and compatible devices and there were various limitations about for which version as its names changed from Windows CE to Windows Mobile (and later Windows Phone which however is a very different underlaying architecture than CE). While Windows Mobile 5 was at least possible to create applications with there were many problems when trying to create apps for Windows Mobile 6 and higher.

You can only create Windows Mobile applications in LabVIEW when you own the NI Mobile Module Deployment Option which was a paid addon to the LabVIEW Developer Suite Core package. The order page for the LabVIEW Developer Suite still lists the Mobile Module Deployment option as a possible addon, refering you to the selecteable options when purchasing the Developer Suite, but that page doesn't have that option anymore and that would fit with my memory that NI has discontinued the PDA Addon (aka. Mobile Module Deployment Option).

You misunderstood the page you refered too. This is originally a document about the (as far as I know discontinued PDA Module). The first paragraph was added later to "clarify" that the Touch Panel Module is now included in LabVIEW 2014 Professional but doesn't support Windows CE anymore as it specifically requires a Windows Embedded 7 OS on the device.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,158 Views)