From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2012 update on W7 Professional vs W7 Enterprise having problems

Hi all

I've recently had to reinstall W7 Pro on a work laptop and am going through the reinstall process for LV2012 and up.  This has worked perfectly fine on some desktops that have W7 Enterprise x64 but when I try and apply the updates for LV2012 patch f3 or SP1 patch f5, or go straight to LV2016 it keeps failing on the validation of the download.  

Is LV expecting some other Windows software/updates to be there before it will install?  It had previously updated to LV2015 quite happily

Showing as W7 Pro Version 6.1.7601.17514 SP1

Any insight appreciated.

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,381 Views)

I'm also running Windows 7 Pro, SP1, and have 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2016 all installed on this PC.  Indeed, I reinstalled all of these about two weeks ago.  Everything is currently working.  However, I've learned (through sad experience) that it is a good idea to Reboot Often when installing LabVIEW.  At a minimum, reboot after installing a Version of LabVIEW and before installing any Drivers, and reboot after installing Drivers.

Incidentally, I tried to find all the numbers you cite, and can find 6.1.7601, but not the last number you mention (but it is SP1).

Bob Schor 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,360 Views)

Thanks for the reply Bob

The number after the 7601 is in the System Information under hardware abstraction layer (probably irrelevant, but....)

I've rebooted plenty of times and it keeps coming back with the same problem

"NI update service encountered an error validating the integrity of one of the selected updates...."

Does the same with the 2016 Silverlight download as well.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,338 Views)

After your latest reply, I (more) carefully read the original message:

I've recently had to reinstall W7 Pro on a work laptop and am going through the reinstall process for LV2012 and up.  This has worked perfectly fine on some desktops that have W7 Enterprise x64 but when I try and apply the updates for LV2012 patch f3 or SP1 patch f5, or go straight to LV2016 it keeps failing on the validation of the download.  

Is LV expecting some other Windows software/updates to be there before it will install?

When you reinstalled Windows 7 Pro (I hope X64 -- I'd be very nervous trying to run on 32-bit Windows), did you go through the 5-6 rounds of Windows Updates until it (or you) finally "gave up"?  In my case, updates are continually being "pushed" to us, so when I rebuilt my LabVIEW installation on my PC a few weeks ago, I'm very certain that my Windows 7 was pretty much fully patched.

Similarly, somewhere around LabVIEW 2015 or 2016, LabVIEW Update needs to "update" itself.  I don't think you have a choice here -- I think it forces the 2016 (?) LabVIEW Update Update on you.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,323 Views)

It's W7 x64, and as I said, it did have LV2012->2015 running on it quite happily before I had to reinstall the OS.

I used a manufacturer (Samsung) recovery disk for the install and just left it overnight to do what it had to do and presumably find all the necessary updates.  I have tried the Windows update route, but it just sits there for hours seemingly doing nothing and after all the reboots I have done I would have expected some sign that it was applying new updates and that hasn't happened so I can only assume it is up to date.

Plan B is to just download the versions of LV from NI and install them (I'm on an academic site licence).  Those installs work perfectly fine but it doesn't want to play when any updates to those installations need to be done.

Even running as administrator (clutching at straws) doesn't work either. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,309 Views)

Plan C to remove everything and just install LV2016 from NI download works, but fails on the upgrades.

Plan D is reinstall W7 Pro SP1 and start from scratch once again.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,301 Views)

Andy,

When I did my "reinstall of all things LabVIEW" two weeks ago, I started with a 4-year-old Windows 7 (x64) machine fully updated (I hope), certainly SP1.  In Control Panel, I found NI Software and chose "Remove All".  I did not try "cleaning out the crevices" nor deleting files afterwards.  [Never mind why I started over -- I did something, shall we say, stupid "unwise" ...].

I'm also on an Academic Site License, and have all the disks.  My Install mix is LabVIEW, LabVIEW RT, Vision (but not "machine vision"), Report Generation Toolkit, and DAQmx (but no drivers until everything else is done).  If it asks about LabVIEW Update, I say "Yes, please".  I install one Version at a time, do a Reboot after the Install, let Update work and apply any updates to the Version(s) that I've installed, then do the next Version.  I put in 2012 SP1, 2014 SP1, 2015 SP1.  We haven't gotten our 2016 kit yet, so I installed 2016 from the NI Download Site.  Then I installed the Drivers from the 2016 "Cumulative Driver" Download.

Everything seems to work.  I even (this morning, actually) installed LabVIEW 2016 RT on a PXI controller (I tried doing it from home last night, but the Controller wasn't booted into RT Safe Mode, so the Installation didn't "take" ...).

This is your Scenario B, I think, but without downloading the software.  I've also successfully implemented Scenario C on my home laptop.  If you are seriously contemplating Scenario D, I would say "Take a deep breath, go find another machine (or even build a VM) as a test system" -- you don't want to blow away your otherwise-working Windows 7 machine if you can avoid it.

Oh, yes -- I asked if Windows 7 was the 32-bit or 64-bit version.  If (perish forbid!) you are running 32-bit Windows 7, then definitely build your Test Machine with 64-bit Windows 7 ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,292 Views)

Bob

Well well well.

After leaving the computer reinstalling W7 Pro on friday night and on the long hunt for updates, I arrive this morning and find that it's not returned to an initial install configuration, but basically as it was left.  

But now the updates are working - or the one update that was there actually installed when it previously had issues with verification.

I can only assume that something in the bowels of W7 related to the install of updates was missed on the original install of W7, but now it's there, so the updates work.  Sometimes computers are very infuriating.

I was basically working with a clean install on a machine so "Plan D" wasn't really a problem, and I'm well used to installing software on machines having spent a couple of weeks putting W7, LV and Office on a bunch of desktops we can use for experiments. 

Thanks for taking an interest

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,264 Views)