cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2010 executable works in windows xp but not in windows 7

Solved!
Go to solution

Now that I am not being very helpful let me at least say this

I can successfully make installer in XP machine that will work on Win7 machine.

To do this I downloaded device drivers  from Aug2012 and have this installed ONLY on the XP machine, along with labVIEW 2010

This way there are no CDs to be requested and everything is simplified for me as far as making an installer that can be put on a CD or thumb disk for transfer to a fresh PC and

the important thing is it all works for me! I don't have to go looking for CD to make installer and I am reasonably happy.

Now for some reason I cannot figure LV 2012 and later only uses  newer device drivers that will not let this happen, at least for me and I am not sure why.

Since I could not find a way to quickly troubleshoot it I just stay at LV2010. (I already spend way too much time writing and debugging LV programs. I am sure there is a solution but I have no time to waste trying to figure it out anymore. Its like trying to keep up with a jaguar in high gear.)

If your XP machine is currently not like mine and if your applications do not use strange new stuff, then you might want to

consider reverting back a bit. Try uninstalling all your device drivers and then installing either the Nov2010 DCD or  the  Aug 2012 DCD device driver set.

I believe NI still makes them available though the downloads page they may decide to eliminate this as well. Better hurry! lol

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,250 Views)

Thanks for that response, AKA_TG.  I'll keep it in mind.

I tried something else and got some strange behavior.  I made a copy of one of the failing executables, took the program source code and took out the low temp limit, then made an executable out of the new program.  This was done on the XP computer.  Then I copied the whole project (executable, installer, etc.) to the Windows 7 computer.  When I run this program, the cycling part of the program runs, but the temperatures are all showing 0.  Since I took the low temp out, the program will run without kicking out.

I see that the actual fixture is not operating.  So somehow the software is not connecting to the fixture.  I can see all the Labview physical components in MAX (ie. chassis and C series modules).  I can run Test Panels on the modules and make them operate.  So why would the program not actually operate the fixture?

Get this, I can run the same program on the XP computer and it works just fine--fixture operates, temperatures read, etc.

I am also going back and forth with NI support on this.  They has spoken of software consistency between the two computers.  I am working with this, but am in a conundrum due to one situation.  NI sent me the software components that work with Windows 7 and Labview 2010.  I am wondering if all these components are syncing with the software from the XP computer executables.  The executables are built on the XP computer, then I have to transfer them to the Windows 7 computer.  How do I know if there isn't a software conflict or something?

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,211 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dhouston
You have never said what version of DAQmx you actually installed on the Windows 7 pc. You've also not said whether you exported the hardware config from the old and installed it on the new.
Message 13 of 16
(1,190 Views)

The DAQmx version installed on the Windows 7 computer is DAQmx 9.9   I can see this in MAX on the Windows 7 computer; under the Software category I see NI-DAQmx ADE Support 9.9, NI-DAQmx Device Driver 9.9, and NI-DAQmx MAX Configuration 9.9).  I did not do any hardware configuration export.  Is that an option I pick while building the executables, or a separate process?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,176 Views)
As I already said, it's an option when building the installer or a separate process.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,116 Views)

Yes!  That was the problem.  Once I chose hardware configuration during the Installer building process, all my DAQ tasks were put into the Installer as well.  Then when I transferred the project to the Windows 7 computer and had everything put in, the programs ran without error.

Whew!  Thanks again for all the help. 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,068 Views)