From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2010 executable works in windows xp but not in windows 7

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all.  Here's the situation.  We have Labview 2010 Professional Development on a computer running Windows XP.  I have designed all my programs with this PC.  We have another PC that has Windows 7 with no Labview.  I am trying to make executables and put them on the Windows 7 PC.  I have made three executables so far and are moving them over to the Windows 7 PC.  One of the executables works correctly, the other two immediately stop.

The executables that stop have temperature limits and the program is apparently seeing a low temp and thus stopping the program.  Yet, these same executables work just fine on the Windows XP PC.  What appears to be happening is that the program is kicking out before it allows itself to actually read any temperatures.  I am using C series modules 9213 and 9211 with the 9188 chassis.   My programs are showing 0 for the temperatures.  Well, this is definitely  in the low temp limit, thus the program stops.  However, it should not be doing this.  I know there is some delay with reading all the thermcouples in the 9213 and 9211 modules, but this has not been an issue with Windows XP.  Even if the program starts up from scratch on the XP PC, the temperatures either immediately appear, or appear after a second or two.  Yes, I have seen a 0 temp on the XP PC rarely, but the program does not stop; give it a second or so and the temps appear.  Why is this happening in Windows 7?

The one executable that is working does no temperature measurements.  It uses only the 9481 modules, and runs solenoids at a rate of about 0.2 seconds.  This executable works fine on both PCs.

So what is it about the temperature reading modules that is causing a problem in Windows 7?

Some other installation data:

-The XP PC has the latest updates that Labview 2010 is compatible with

-The Win 7 PC does not have the latest Labview 2010 updates as there are compatibility issues.  National Instruments gave me the compatible components, and they are several levels down from the latest (e.g. MAX v14.0 vs MAX 5.6)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,562 Views)

One guess would be that you have no error handling and, since executables have auto-error handling turned off, you are getting an error but don't know about it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,544 Views)

Yeah sounds like no error handling.  Even so you can still try to debug this.  Try getting an XP machine that it doesn't work on and install the full LabVIEW development environment.  Then you can go through these steps to build an EXE that has debug built in.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvhowto/debug_apps_dlls/

Then you'll be able to run your application but be able to see all the code and probe around like you would as if it were source from a VI.  You can't edit the code because it is built into an EXE but you can probably figure out where the code is going wrong and make changes then rebuild it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,426 Views)

Thanks for the responses all.  Sorry to get back to you so late.

I tried following the article for building an executable with debugging enabled, but I am having a problem.  If I run the executable on the XP computer, I can go into Project Explorer and debug from there just like the article states.  However, the Windows 7 PC does not have Labview on it at all, so I can not access Project Explorer.  Is there another way to access the debugger without Project Explorer?  I tried to use the remote debugging, but that is not working either.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,356 Views)
Did you actually create an installer with the correct runtime, DAQmx, MAX, and the hardware configuration? Simply copying an exe is not the best way.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,339 Views)

Yes, I did create an Installer and the correct runtime, DAQmx, and MAX were given to me by National Instruments.  Now as for the hardware configuration, where do I see this?  I do not recall having to do any hardware adjustments when making any executables.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,330 Views)
The correct runtime, DAQmx, and MAX should have been from your local installation and the hardware configuration is selectable when you create the installer or from the file menu in MAX. It contains device names, scales, tasks, etc.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,322 Views)

Looking into the Installer, under Advanced there is a set of radio buttons  dealing with operating systems.  They are in a frame labeled "System Requirements."  The 1st button is already checked, it says "Windows XP or later." 

There is a button labedled "Windows 7 or later."  Do you think I need to make an installer with this option checked, and install that one on the PC with Windows 7? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,316 Views)

Dhouston

Not sure if this helps or not but

If the

"Require the LabVIEW 2010 32 bit development system or later"

is checked you will have issues bringing it into Win7 32 bit.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,287 Views)

Im sorry I misread your post now.

It seems your programs at least open a window and run so it must be something else thats wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,284 Views)