LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2010 cluster index reordering issue

Greetings,

I am currently working on a project that involves piping in data to Labview (2010) via a PXI-e 1082 chassis, with 6363 cards....

The issue I am finding in Labview involves a large cluster with 100+ indices.  I am working on reordering the cluster indexes via right clicking the cluster and selecting "Reorder Controls in Cluster" on the dropdown options list. 

I proceed to select each control in order starting from the 0 index and then select the check mark to confirm the ordering.  I will then save the file.  I have noticed on multiple occasions that when I go back to verify the ordering I implemented, the indexes are very off.  

I accept that fact that I am human and can make mistakes but I am thinking there must be a bug or an option that I am missing for this to be happening.

Hoping someone out there has an idea!

Thx.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,454 Views)

I use LV2010 and have not experienced any reordering issues like you have explained.  I have had clusters be out of order, but not rearrange themselves.  Keep in mind that your ordering from one cluster to the next must match.  In otherwords, just because you reordered a cluster on your front panel which goes to a sub-vi, the sub-vi order will not change with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,453 Views)

@MoReese wrote:

I use LV2010 and have not experienced any reordering issues like you have explained.  I have had clusters be out of order, but not rearrange themselves.  Keep in mind that your ordering from one cluster to the next must match.  In otherwords, just because you reordered a cluster on your front panel which goes to a sub-vi, the sub-vi order will not change with it.

Unless you use type defs.  Then you just change the type def and everybody should be happy.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 13
(2,444 Views)

Crossrulz hit what I was going to say.

But are you trying to change every single cluster?  If so the type def control makes that very easy.  If not and you are trying to change the order of select clusters in various parts of your program, you might need to get creative there.  Can you clarify?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,438 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Unless you use type defs.  Then you just change the type def and everybody should be happy.

Yes, typedefs would be the way to go; unless the OP is not using typedefs, in which case he may have the issue he is referring to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,433 Views)

I have an array of data coming out from the PXI-e cards which I then feed into a cluster to display on the front panel.  The default order in which the array data come out (0, 1, 2...) is not what I am looking for so therefore and trying to alter the order in the final cluster via the method described above...does this help?

not sure what you mean by typedef...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,427 Views)

@MoReese wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

Yes, typedefs would be the way to go; unless the OP is not using typedefs, in which case he may have the issue he is referring to.

Agreed. I once went through the headache of trying to update clusters in hundreds of locations when I first started using LabVIEW.  Then my rep told me about type defs.  I was trying to let the OP know of a better way.  Clusters that are being used in multiple VIs should be a type def.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/creating_type_defs/

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,425 Views)

@PR_ghost wrote:

I have an array of data coming out from the PXI-e cards which I then feed into a cluster to display on the front panel.  The default order in which the array data come out (0, 1, 2...) is not what I am looking for so therefore and trying to alter the order in the final cluster via the method described above...does this help?

not sure what you mean by typedef...

I think seeing some code will help give us some perspective on your issue.  I'm wondering if an array would better suite you.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,423 Views)

Right-click your control>>Advanced>>customize.  This will create a .ctl file which is the definition for you control to be used in your application.  Anytime you need to use this cluster, simply drop the icon of the ctl file onto your front panel, or block diagram.  Any changes, such as reordering, that are made are made to the ctl.  This way, you only have to make the change once an the rest of your controls in your application will get updated at once (File>>Apply Changes from the ctl). 

Message 9 of 13
(2,421 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Clusters that are being used in multiple VIs should be a type def.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/creating_type_defs/

True, and this should be one of the first things any new user should learn.  It definately saves a lot of headache.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,420 Views)