LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label misplacement after conversion or copying

Solved!
Go to solution

Besides disappearing "cloned" property nodes, which seems solved in Labview 2012 (SP1), I also have a problem with misplacement of labels after conversions or copying.

The problem occurs at least in the following situation:

1. There is a property node of a control.

2. The control is defined in a "Type Def".

3. A label is attached Right-Centered of the property node.

4. The location of the Label in the "Type Def" is different (Top-Left, for instance).

5. To create the bug either the source is converted (e.g. Labview 2011 to Labview 2012) or the property node is copied between sources.

6. The label of the converted/copied property node now has moved upwards, above the property node.

In Labview 2012 the solution for disappearing "cloned" property nodes also fixes the label misplacement bug for those property nodes.

The misplacement of labels can be quite annoying when you have relatively compact code in many multiple stacked sequences and event handlers.

---

I also had a seperate, global problem with label placement after the label font is changed / converted, but have not yet verified if this still happens in Labview 2012.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(3,103 Views)

LOL one more reason to shy away from stacked sequences.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 23
(3,098 Views)

with the release of LabVIEW 2012 there were enhancements made from the Idea Exchange to add additional options for default Lable positions (What a great Idea- You are welcome)

When you copy a control from 2011 to 2012 the lable will attempt to respect your settings and place itself accoring to the ini options 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(3,093 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

with the release of LabVIEW 2012 there were enhancements made from the Idea Exchange to add additional options for default Lable positions (What a great Idea- You are welcome)

When you copy a control from 2011 to 2012 the lable will attempt to respect your settings and place itself accoring to the ini options 

Unfortunately the current implementation of this is not working, at least it doesn't seem to do anything to correct or adjust any label during a conversion of my code to LV 2012 SP1.  My property nodes are moved around a bit by the conversion, where nothing should change coming from LV 2011.  The amount of work to clean up the code aesthetically is substantial, especially because of both bugs I reported above.  Keeping the fonts identical between versions I can avoid one of the bugs but not the other (the main one of this topic).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(3,065 Views)

@Ettepet wrote:

Besides disappearing "cloned" property nodes, which seems solved in Labview 2012 (SP1), I also have a problem with misplacement of labels after conversions or copying.

The problem occurs at least in the following situation:

1. There is a property node of a control.

2. The control is defined in a "Type Def".

3. A label is attached Right-Centered of the property node.

4. The location of the Label in the "Type Def" is different (Top-Left, for instance).

5. To create the bug either the source is converted (e.g. Labview 2011 to Labview 2012) or the property node is copied between sources.

6. The label of the converted/copied property node now has moved upwards, above the property node.

In Labview 2012 the solution for disappearing "cloned" property nodes also fixes the label misplacement bug for those property nodes.

Label misplacement also happens in LV 2012 SP1 when you select a different property for that property node, although then it manifests itself like changing the font (meaning: only horizontal misplacement).  These bugs occur with property nodes that have their label at the right-middle (and possibly placed elsewhere).

I don't know if I should open a second topic for the label misplacement caused by changing fonts (or when you select a different property for the property node).  This bug is much more obvious and relatively simple though.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(3,054 Views)

Are you also moving to an Aveo font from something prior to "Aveo"

Yes, Fonts in an "Aveo" Theme are larger.  So much for the mantra "Bigger is better."

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(3,042 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Are you also moving to an Aveo font from something prior to "Aveo"

Yes, Fonts in an "Aveo" Theme are larger.  So much for the mantra "Bigger is better."

No I went to Tahoma 13 when I moved from Labview 2010 to Labview 2011, because of Microsoft's move to a new default font, and am still on Tahoma.  Both label misplacement bugs were around then also and have caused several days worth of correcting sofar.  My hope was that they would be fixed by now as they are so obvious with labels not in their default (Top-Left) position.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(3,016 Views)

I started this topic to get this bug (these bugs) acknowledged and (hopefuly) fixed in the (near) future, but sofar nothing.  I emailed someone who entered the two bugreports I mentioned:

CAR #318066 -- Implicitly typed property node Value does not retain the typedefness of the original control

CAR #318065 -- "Find" popup problems on implicitly linked property/invoke nodes when original control is a typedef

...but have heard nothing back after an initial reply asking me for the CARs (and my reply to that) several days ago.

It amazes me that none here seem to have problems with labels being misplaced by Labview, as it has been doing so for several years (at least) and it effectively wrecks the layout of your code.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(2,947 Views)

@Ettepet wrote:

I started this topic to get this bug (these bugs) acknowledged and (hopefuly) fixed in the (near) future, but sofar nothing.  I emailed someone who entered the two bugreports I mentioned:

CAR #318066 -- Implicitly typed property node Value does not retain the typedefness of the original control

CAR #318065 -- "Find" popup problems on implicitly linked property/invoke nodes when original control is a typedef

...but have heard nothing back after an initial reply asking me for the CARs (and my reply to that) several days ago.

It amazes me that none here seem to have problems with labels being misplaced by Labview, as it has been doing so for several years (at least) and it effectively wrecks the layout of your code.

...Or maybe we just gave up...  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(2,935 Views)

@billko wrote:

@Ettepet wrote:

...Or maybe we just gave up...  😉

🙂

Well, I got hope after seeing many instances [where the bug used to occur] fixed in LV2012 because of the CARs I mentioned in my previous post.  The bug mentioned in the OP should be readily fixable for ALL instances in a very similar manner.

I would be very happy if a CAR was created for this.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(2,931 Views)