LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView: hang on launch with proxy server

I am having a bit of an engimatic problem. A number of my applications are hanging on launch on some production computers. They will hang for about 5 minutes then work normally. This will not happen on machines that are fully configured to connect to the internet, nor on machines that are not connected to the network at all. It only happens to machines that are configured to be on the network, but are configured to block external IP addresses(as they are on a production floor).

A number of my applications use networking, but even applications that use no networking seem to have this issue. None of them try to contact external IP addresses at any point in my source code.

Does the labview runtime try to call home to check for updates or something? Is there any way to disable this or reduce the timeout?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,804 Views)

Some additional testing/info:

-I tried turning off the proxy configuration on my development PC.

-With no ability to contact outside IP's the software runs fine from within the labview development enviroment.

-When I build the application the runtime hangs like on the production floor PC's

-When I turn my proxy configuration back on the built application works fine

-When the application loads it is not doing anything involving the network, it is just loading a local .net dll that processes a local config file.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,785 Views)

Are you able to see if any National Instruments processes are running in the background? If Runtime was trying to update most likely it would launch NI Update Service.

Brandon L.
Automation Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,748 Views)

Has the code run fine previously? We had a problem like this when using shared variables which were trying to resolve ip addresses on non networked machines

Please remember to accept any solutions and give kudos, Thanks

LV 8.6.1, LV2010,LV2011SP1, FPGA, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,745 Views)

The code worked fine previously, until our system administrator changed the network settings, and still works fine on some systems. From checking the task manager and netstat it looks like it isnt trying to update, it looks like it is trying to talk to itself on localhost, but for some reason hangs until the domain service times out?

Ive attached the netstat log. The last is what it showed right after it finished hanging, and the other times I was polling it while it was hanged.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,734 Views)

To get a better understanding of what might be happening I had a couple of questions. It would also help to know what OS you are using as well as what version of LabVIEW.

Of the applications that use networking, what time of communication do they utilize?

Are you using shared variables?

What was changed in the network settings from when the applications were working fine to now?

Brandon L.
Automation Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,723 Views)

You might also check out these to forum posts which I believe might be similar to what you are seeing. 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/2011-hangs-on-startup/m-p/1940579#M646715

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LabVIEW-RT-System-hangs-at-startup/td-p/757538

Brandon L.
Automation Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,722 Views)

Labview 2009 on Windows XP on the production machines, Windows 7 on the dev machine. The network change they made was that all traffic now goes through a proxy server. I believe that proxy server is configured to block all external traffic from the machines that are having problems. I can access the rest of the internal network fine on them, so it would suprise me if any traffic on localhost is blocked. My problem sounds alot like the problem in this thread you posted: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/2011-hangs-on-startup/m-p/1940579#M646715 , but I am not using novell. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,716 Views)

I would take a look at this forum thread, specifically post #14. 

http://lavag.org/topic/12538-application-startup-takes-several-minutes/

It looks as if this was a similar issue on a windows XP machine. It involves disabling the auto update of the root certificate for XP.

Please let me know if this helps.

Brandon L.
Automation Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,701 Views)