LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView for Mac activation

Hello there!

I am a student at University of Pécs and I would like to install LabView on my Macbook. 

The problem is that I can't find the way to activate the software. I have obtained my student serial number but couldn't paste it anywhere and now that my 5 days trial ended I can't use it. 

Please give me the proper steps in order to make LabView work. 

I'm using OSX El Capitan on my Macbook Pro 2011.

Installing Windows is not a solution in my case. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,034 Views)

I'm not sure if the procedure I use is "world-wide", but when I open LabVIEW and I haven't activated it, the License Manager starts, says something like "You need to activate", and then takes me to the Activation page.

One thing you need in order to process your Activation is an NI Account.  Create an Account for yourself, which tells NI Who (you are), What (your position is), Where (you are located), How (to get in contact with you, i.e. phone and e-mail address).  Now use that Account to log into the License Manager system, input your License Code, and the system should Activate your license (provided you gave it a valid license).

If the License Manager doesn't start automatically when you start LabVIEW, go to Programs, National Instruments, and run NI License Manager.

Let us know if this doesn't work.  Also, if you get a "meaningful" error message, let us know what it says.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,994 Views)

Thanks for your quick response Bob!

I'm afraid that the NI License Manager only can be found on Windows OS. I took a screenshot of my National Instruments install folder and as you can see neither the LabView folder contains that tool. 

Inside the app itself I wasn't able to find any menu-option that would be related to activation. I also checked LabView's preferences pane with no luck. 

I am waiting for further assistance everyone. 

Have a nice day!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,980 Views)

You'll need to uninstall the evaluation version and install the full version from the media you received after purchase.

I'm a bit curious.  Why isn't boot camp an option?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,965 Views)

So you are basically saying that there is no LabVIEW Student Edition for Mac?

I did not purchase since I am a student and I only need this software for one semester.

As I've noticed the Mac versions don't require activation but the specific download in order to use as a trial / student / full user. My problem is that I can't find the native Mac download anywhere on NI's website.

On the BootCamp side I don't see the reason to install Windows for one software when there is a fully functioning native version for Mac (I know because I used the trial version). Additionally I only have a 128GB SSD in my MacBook therefore I'm in short of space.

Today I contacted NI support via phone and explained my problem, let's see what happens. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,950 Views)

Dear mr_fiskare,

there is a LabVIEW Student edition for MAC, and yes it requires special installer for trial / student / full. If you University has Academic Site License with options for students, you can get serial number from university SW admin (for Windows version - or for 6 months you can request it by your self HERE) or a he will install LV student on your MAC, or provide you the installer. There is no download - MAC version of LabVIEW is available only on media that is send to the university.

Please be aware, that the MAC version of LV has limited support for NI HW (definitely you will not be able to program cRIO and similar embedded targets), and also for toolkits. If you want to take LabVIEW seriously, currently (and most probably also in the future) the best approach is to use LabVIEW (32b) on Windows. 

B/R

Jozef Lipták
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,941 Views)