LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW with Git

Hi all,

I'm in the FIRST robotics community, and next year we're getting a copy of LabVIEW 8.6 Pro which has the a few programs included for use in source control.

Anywho, we're interested in using some sort of source control to keep track of our code and allow simultaneous development with several programmers. A quick Google search shows little or few relevant results of using LabVIEW with Git.

I'm wondering if any of ya'll, LabView users, have ever used Git for tracking your code? If so, how have you accomplished it? If not, what have you used that is free to use?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
-Tanner
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 28
(17,603 Views)
Never heard of Git. I use Subversion and there have been numerous posts on that.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(17,586 Views)
My understanding is that the main advantage of Git is in merging, an area where LabVIEW underperforms (it's much harder to merge LV code than simple text). As mentioned, SVN works quite well.

(17,572 Views)

tst wrote:
My understanding is that the main advantage of Git is in merging, an area where LabVIEW underperforms (it's much harder to merge LV code than simple text). As mentioned, SVN works quite well.

Well, Git is a distributed system (meaning that each user who clones the repository, can commit locally without having access to the main repository server) and that Git has a very nice branching system that makes it easy and clean.

Is there a tutorial or something of the sort somewhere discussing setting up SVN for LabVIEW?

Thanks

-Tanner

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(17,536 Views)

I don't remember a manual off hand, but there are many references to the subject, and Jim Kring probably has a post in his blog detailing how to set it up. The easiest thing to do with SVN is to ignore the fact that you're working with LabVIEW files. At least in Windows, TortoiseSVN integrates directly into the shell application and allows you to work with any kind of file.

In any case, the main hurdle to watch out for is the merging issue. I don't know if this is practical in your case, but if you can avoid running into it, you will also avoid some headaches. There are some documents on this site about using SCC with LV. I suggest you try reading those.

(17,516 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(17,508 Views)

I can see the benefit of the GIT features.

So if you get it fully to work that would be awesome!

What are your current issues? (I followed your Stackoverflow questions with great interest)

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(17,504 Views)

I'll have to take a look at the link and search for some of the Jim Kring posts. Thanks!

TCPlomp wrote:

I can see the benefit of the GIT features.

So if you get it fully to work that would be awesome!

What are your current issues? (I followed your Stackoverflow questions with great interest)

Ton

Well, right now I've got merging working using LVMerge though it doesn't appear to be doing anything though I'm not sure if that is my fault or Git's - I haven't done a test using the command line to see if the tool works (if not, eek!). As for doing diffs, I'm trying to use lvdfif from meta-diff, though that kinda became haulted when I was doing some command line tests and find out that when I am able to get it launched, the vi it runs from crashes cause it can't find some file.

While it is somewhat more than what I had before, it is still not yet fully functioning.

Thanks

-Tanner

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(17,481 Views)

I read about TortoiseGit, a clone of tortoiseSVN/CVS for Git, maybe you can configure (and test) the merging and differencing a little bit easier.

Here is a howto to use tortoisesvn and LabVIEW merge.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(17,470 Views)

TCPlomp wrote:

I read about TortoiseGit, a clone of tortoiseSVN/CVS for Git, maybe you can configure (and test) the merging and differencing a little bit easier.

Here is a howto to use tortoisesvn and LabVIEW merge.

Ton

That is very interesting, I did not know. I'll take a look.

I'm hearing that SVN is more commonly used because it has the ability to lock files which will prevent another user from editing the same Vi?

Thanks

-Tanner

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(17,443 Views)