LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW vs LabVIEW SP1

Solved!
Go to solution

We had a working LabVIEW version that allowed us to control and program my cRIO's FPGA but we upgraded that machine and got the license transferred over and we installed LabVIEW 2019 SP1 (64-bit) and all the necessary modules to work my cRIO however no matter what I did I could not get any communication with my cRIO in LabVIEW. I went through and installed so many unnecessary drivers and software to try to get it to work but nothing would. Throughout the process I found that LabVIEW 2019 (32-bit) was installed and through curiosity I opened the program and immediately while loading it said "myRIO Toolkit" and from then on I realized this was the issue, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't load up with LabVIEW SP1. In the License Manager all of my addons went into LabVIEW 2019 and not under LabVIEW 2019 SP1. I do not know if that is related to my issues or not. So now I am forced to use LabVIEW 2019 (32-bit) instead of LabVIEW 2019 SP1 (64-bit).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,062 Views)

The toolkit has to match the LabVIEW bitness. I'm not sure if there is a myRIO toolkit for 64-bit LabVIEW. A quick search brought me to this page which only allows you to download a 32-bit version.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,035 Views)

Why are you loading the myRIO Toolkit if you are not using a myRIO?  I thought this was designed for the myRIO hardware, which I (also) thought was specific to myRIO.

Are you running a routine that requires 64-bit memory access?  I'm still able to run 32-bit LabVIEW on a 64-bit PC running 64-bit Windows 10.  In my (limited) experience, I have not yet found any limitations in what I can accomplish, including running simultaneous data acquisition from multiple experimental stations and acquiring (intermittant) Video images (5-10 second AVIs of "events").

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,997 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MGardner5

Use of LabVIEW Realtime requires you to use the 32-bit version of LabVIEW. Aside of that you need to be careful to install the same version of LabVIEW Realtime and LabVIEW FPGA than your main LabVIEW installation.

NI-RIO and other NI driver software always needs to be installed AFTER you installed LabVIEW and the according toolkits, and must be at least the same version or at most 3 versions newer than the LabVIEW version you want to use it in.

The MyRIO Toolkit is specifically meant for support of the NI-MyRIO hardware. It contains LabVIEW Realtime + FPGA + NI-RIO and RIO support files for the MyRIO hardware but lacks other RIO hardware specific support files. Without a full NI-RIO installation and depending on your hardware some extra target specific support package (if the hardware is a recent product addition to the NI product portfolio in respect to the RIO version you installed) nor LabVIEW nor NI-Max will be able to see the target and communicate with it.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 7
(2,973 Views)

You'd think they'd develop a 64-bit myRIO Toolkit. Especially when their cRIO instructions don't specifically say which bitness of LabVIEW to download. Just a little confusion that did not need to happen.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,892 Views)

You can try the software bundle download which should come with the correct versions of everything you need:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/software-products/download.labview-myrio-software-bundle....

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,886 Views)

I got it all fixed now, I was just quite disappointed that I had to go through that headache of "matching bitness". I went through hours of installing different products trying to figure out what was missing when all I needed was a 32 bit version of labview. NI could have been more clear of the specific bitness of software I needed.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,881 Views)