LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW software Testing

Hi All,

I wanted to implement LabVIEW software testing at user level (i.e) I want to record,replay and validate the front panel controls and indicators, when browsing through I got to Know about "NI UI Automation Tool" but there are some Issues like the sub panel controls and dialog box actions are not getting recorded or replayed,I tried a tool named AutoIT but in that everything is based on screen coordinate and validation of controls is not possible. Is there any other way to achieve the requirement.

Looking forward for Reply,

Thanks in advance,

Chibi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,893 Views)

Have you tried looking a the Unit Test Framework? It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it is the closest thing that I can think of.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,864 Views)

JKI has their own version of a unit tester VI.  

http://forums.jki.net/topic/985-vi-tester-home-page/

It was developed before the NI version was made.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,828 Views)

The issue with subpanels is that the controls and indicators in them are actually on the front panel of another VI (the one visible in the subpanel). It's a fine distinction that mostly only becomes important when you are trying to do something automated.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,820 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply, I will look onto Unit testing framework and I could understand that since sub panel VI is different and that is the reason why it is not recorded,is there any way to overcome that problem and is there any way to record actions in dialog boxes.

Regards,

Chibi

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,768 Views)
The issue with the UI Automation Tool is that it looks like it is designed to only record and playback from one top-level VI at a time. This limitation means that it can't track operations in subpanels or dialog boxes. Now the tool is distributed as source, so you could (in theory at least) modify it to track and record multiple top-level VIs, but I have not looked at it and so have no idea how good the code is. Consequently, I don't know whose practical the theory is.

Beyond this, there are always going to issues with the playback for certain kinds of controls, like buttons. The obvious way to playback the click of a button is to use VI server to set the Val(Sgnl) property. The problem is that this operation isn't valid if the button has a latching mechanical action associated with it. Of course that can be fixed, but it requires the modification of the code that you are testing.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,716 Views)

Thank You Mike,

You have said that the tool is distributed as source, by that do you mean the files which are included with the EXE once we install the tool or have the entire source code of the EXE is available?

Regards,

Chibi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,656 Views)