From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW proverbs!

@crossrulz wrote:

Express VIs will get you started, but don't expect to go far with them

Except that proverb isn't true. Express VIs got a bad rap because some specific express VIs were designed for very low end use cases. But there are some that are quite powerful, and the concept is really REALLY powerful. Express VIs are simply a dialog-driven way to fill in a code template; that template can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. In its most ridiculous form, the express VI dialog could be an entirely different model of computation, with its own diagram or text editor, which runs through a compiler to generate G code. It's a really open-ended technology.

Message 251 of 305
(1,994 Views)

AristosQueue wrote: Express VIs got a bad rap because some specific express VIs were designed for very low end use cases.

Unfortunately, those are the ones we have had to deal with.  Yes, they have their place.  But to a normal user, the supplied Express VIs are very limited in ability and they need to figure out quickly that they have severe limits in capability.

I did not mean to say that the Express VI technology was bad.  Yes, you can do some really cool things with them.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 252 of 305
(1,973 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:
I did not mean to say that the Express VI technology was bad.  Yes, you can do some really cool things with them.

I see little difference between express vis and something you would use from a code reuse library. Sure the code in your library might be a teeny bit more efficient but so what? What makes an express vi better IMO is the on-the-fly customization that happens every time you set one up. I think they're very handy.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 253 of 305
(1,949 Views)

Sometimes an analogy comes to me that I actually like. Today was one of those days.

"

Keeping an output running at the same rate as an input is a lot like reaching out over the front of a railroad locomotive to lay down track you just picked from behind the train.

If you do not stay ahead of the progress it will not go well.

"

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 254 of 305
(1,844 Views)

I'd like to nicely add that this proverb is not limited to LabVIEW.  But it has a strong relation 😉

Message 255 of 305
(1,818 Views)

Reminds me of Wallace and Gromit.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 256 of 305
(1,767 Views)

As I posted in this thread...

There is a quote from the musical Hello Dolly where (was it Mr Madison) eventually came around to the opinion held by Dolly

"Money Knowlege is like manure. It does the most good when you spread it around."

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 257 of 305
(1,675 Views)

You mentioned Mondrian and sparked my art geekiness.  Now my LabVIEW geekiness and art geekiness have combined to a whole new level of geekiness!

Mondian Code.png

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

Chief LabVIEW Architect, Testeract | Owner, Q Software Innovations, LLC (QSI)
Director, GCentral | Admin, LabVIEW Wiki | Creator, The QControl Toolkit
Certified LabVIEW Architect | LabVIEW Champion | NI Alliance Partner

Message 258 of 305
(1,607 Views)

I shared a sea story here ending with ...

"

If you over-load something, do not be suprised if it fails.

The same thing applies to Dremel tools, drills, and LV.

"

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 259 of 305
(1,557 Views)

Where does Mondrian come from? I don't quite see his name in this thread. However I kind of like the Mondrian type BD... what does the code actually do ;-). Would be nice if it was drawn by itself.

Happy wireworks

Urs

0 Kudos
Message 260 of 305
(1,544 Views)