LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW proverbs!

OK, I really like Mellobuck's #3:

Any project will expand to use exactly the time, money and memory available.

Brian K.
Message 91 of 305
(4,616 Views)

Brian K. wrote:

OK, I really like Mellobuck's #3:

Any project will expand to use exactly the time, money and memory available.

Mellobuck,

was your father-in-law Parkinson?

Message 92 of 305
(4,604 Views)

There was Mike's quote of David Parnas which, if close enough to they way Mike wrote it, would be really nice:

"...imagine that your subroutines all have front panels with knobs and switches..."

You are right Dennis, that deserves a clarification.  The much longer story is that my father-in-law (Joe Funyak) started with Parkinson's law and worked into the Calculus of Closets, during his MBA work (and tranformation from an EE to a Sales Manager). This started with the observation that extra storage remains empty for a time period, and is always ultimately filled - also other associated ideas such as the range of a car on one tank of gas stays the same, even with increased fuel efficiency.
The one-page derivation is included here.

-Mellobuck

Also my first proverb should be attributed as Brooks' Law for completeness.

Message Edited by Mellobuck on 06-30-2007 08:40 PM

Data Science Automation

CTA, CLA, CLED
SHAZAM!
Message 94 of 305
(4,528 Views)

I found this LV related quote on LAVA in this thread and was originall penned by Aristos Queue

Story: One of our interns made a change to LV's source code that broke the exe. Our chief architect, in a mock scolding, said, "You be careful! That code is older than you are!" smile.gif

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 95 of 305
(4,437 Views)

In this thread Ed Dickens ( LabVIEW Champion) said;

....using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 96 of 305
(4,360 Views)
A quote which is also appropiate to Labview:

There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code.  -Flon's Law

Xseadog

Message 97 of 305
(4,317 Views)
Ben introduces here the term 'Nuggeteer'

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 98 of 305
(4,198 Views)

@TonP wrote:
Ben introduces here the term 'Nuggeteer'

How about the rest of us? Nuggophils? 😄
Message 99 of 305
(4,194 Views)
Nuggeteer, is that like a Newbie? or maybe "Nuugie"?

Message Edited by Bill@NGC on 09-01-2007 01:05 PM

0 Kudos
Message 100 of 305
(4,189 Views)