cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

LabVIEW proverbs!

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!

Seen here. Courtesy of one of my favorite Forum Contributors Smiley Wink

 

 "Using Express vis can help you write code FAST, but don't usually write the fast code." 

Message 271 of 289
(774 Views)
Highlighted

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!

I mentioned to my boss today

 

Ben: "I am going through the LV 2016 release notes since I finally installed it."

He replied

 

Boss: "Just in time for 2017!"

 

I answered saying

 

Ben: "I view software the same way I look at driving. I want to be close enough to witness the accident, while not being involved myself."

 

Ben

Message 272 of 289
(697 Views)

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!


Ben wrote:

I mentioned to my boss today

 

Ben: "I am going through the LV 2016 release notes since I finally installed it."

He replied

 

Boss: "Just in time for 2017!"

 

I answered saying

 

Ben: "I view software the same way I look at driving. I want to be close enough to witness the accident, while not being involved myself."

 

Ben


LOL - always wait for the patch.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 273 of 289
(680 Views)

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!

In this thread Ben posted;

 

"If you give a man fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to wire a LabVIEW Program he will eat for a lifetime."

 

Ben

Message 274 of 289
(430 Views)

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!

Not a direct LabVIEW quote, but we've all been kicked by this fellow at least once:

 

"CSV is not a format. it is a donkey with a sharp stick taped to its forehead. the stick can be any length, and it's not always a donkey."

 

And sometimes the CSV file is not a CSV file, it is a "spreadsheet" file; separated not by commas but tabs (or any other punctuation) instead.

 

Hee Haw!

 


Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 275 of 289
(387 Views)

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!

I had a run in with an associate where we poke fun at each other.  He asked how I was coding something to limit access.

 

Me: Binary

Other: <Odd Look> What do you mean?

Me: <Fist held in air, middle finger blinking up and down>

Other: <Laughter> Gotcha.

Message 276 of 289
(380 Views)

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!

"NI Week is like a high school reunion that you actually want to go to."

- Ed Dickens


  Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines - Hooovahh - LabVIEW Overlord
Did you go to NI Week? Be sure and fill out the session survey to let NI know what liked and disliked.

Message 277 of 289
(377 Views)

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!


Ben wrote:

In this thread Ben posted;

 

"If you give a man fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to wire a LabVIEW Program he will eat for a lifetime."

 

Ben


You should qualify that to be "If you give a man fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to correctly wire a LabVIEW Program he will eat for a lifetime."

 

If they don't learn correctly, they will get tangled up in their net and drown.  Smiley Wink

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 278 of 289
(357 Views)

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!


billko wrote:

Ben wrote:

In this thread Ben posted;

 

"If you give a man fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to wire a LabVIEW Program he will eat for a lifetime."

 

Ben


You should qualify that to be "If you give a man fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to correctly wire a LabVIEW Program he will eat for a lifetime."

 

If they don't learn correctly, they will get tangled up in their net and drown.  Smiley Wink


I think Ben meant "If I Teach..."  But some others would be good examples tooSmiley Very Happy

Message 279 of 289
(351 Views)

Re: LabVIEW proverbs!

Read this today - written by Rolfk (thread):

 

Without a really thorough code review of your software by someone who is experienced, fiddling with such settings [compiler optimization] is like putting rocket fuel in a lawn mower and hoping to get your lawn done quicker that way.

Message 280 of 289
(315 Views)