From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW program on tablet/phone

Hi I already have a LabVIEW program which communicates with hardware (charge controller & EV prototype) using ethernet through cRIO and NI I/O modules. I have 2 queries.

1) Is it possible to use the program on a Tablet/ phone? What other options do i have besides Data Dashboard for LabVIEW? Is Dashboard only for visualising the indicators or for control as well?

2) Could the communication between the P.C. and hardware be done using WiFi instead of ethernet? How? 

I'm a newbie so can you explain a bit in detail?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,531 Views)

1. No, the data dashboard is the only choice right now as far as I know (If I remember correctly Dashboard should be able to use controls). The best would be to write an application that sends commands via TCP/IP connection using the native development enviroment of the tablet/mobile phone (C? Java?)

2. Yes. The only problem might be with configuration of the WiFi equipment. How? - this depends on the connection of the equipment (draw it)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,480 Views)

You can write code to do this in many ways but NI has the Remote Panel done for you: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4791/en/

The Dashboard can now control your VI remotely as well:  http://www.ni.com/mobile/

I'm not sure about WiFi.  It's usually used to connect portable hardware to the net rather than to each other.  Bluetooth is certainly an option and LabVIEW has a palette of VIs that will help you:  Data Communications > Protocols > BT.  The Remote Panel or Dashboard will be your easier options though. Smiley Wink

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 3 of 6
(3,455 Views)

2) Could the communication between the P.C. and hardware be done using WiFi instead of ethernet? How? 

Google ad hoc wifi network

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,450 Views)

Hi the connection is some thing like this:

LabVIEW program on PC >> NI c-RIO communication module via ethernet >> EV Charge Controller >> EV Battery Prototype 

1) Now, instead of Ethernet, I'd like to use WiFi to connect this server PC with the hardware. Guidelines?

2) I'd like to connect a client tablet/phone with the server. What is the best method to do so?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,406 Views)

1)  Never done this before but I know there are simple, cheap adapters available.  Google:  Ethernet to WiFi Bridge

2)  This depends on what you're serving.  If you want to write something in LabVIEW that reads your test data and analyzes/displays it you could use the Data Dashboard or Remote Panels.  You could also do it in another language and create an HTML report that could be read with any browser for instance.  There are many choices and they all depend on your needs and abilities.  

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 6 of 6
(3,369 Views)