From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW problem with the control motorized linear statge zaber

Hello.

I am trying to use LabVIEW to control a motorizer linear statge for my disertation in experimental aerodynamic. I just start with the programming some days ago and I have a problem which I don´t know how resolve it.

As I am a begginer, I decided to start with a simple example that I found in Zaber web page. This aim of this example is to move the statge using LabVIEW.

The problem is the following:

I have configurated the USB port, the characteristics of the motorized and  linear statge the LabVIEW paramettres code:

- Bould Rate (9600)

-Microstep Size ( 1.984375 micromilimetters, as ir is shown in Zaber web)

-Device and axis ( binary code assigned to this device is 01 , so i put that in the place of the code assigned to the named of the device).

When the program starts running the statge don´t move, only the communication/busy led (the yellow one) quickly flash but this is all what happen.

I used the zaber application to control this product to check if it works or not,  it does.

I am sure that it is a silly mistake but I do not what more to do to find it .

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,511 Views)

The more information we have, the better we can give you helpful answers.  It would help if you would do the following things:

• Attach the VI (the LabVIEW code, with an extension of .vi) that you are trying to run.  We need to have the code itself, not just a screen shot of it.
  • Provide more information about the device you are controlling.  The actual name of the device and the URL that you used to get your example would be very helpful.
  • Tell us if you have taken any of the LabVIEW Tutorials, or have taken a class in school using LabVIEW, or have a local expert who can help teach you.  By the way, a series of Tutorials are listed on the first page of this Forum (upper right corner).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,504 Views)

Yes, please post your code you are using and we can give it a look. Besides that, make sure that the zaber program has closed access to the port you are using before trying to use it with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,494 Views)

Sorry for the lack of information and thank you for your quick replay.

I attached the next informations and files:

- The device that I use as motorized linear statge is called A-LTS1000-E01. The manunfacture is Zaber. This devide works with a stteper motor which could be controled by software or manual. I achatte the manual gived by the manufacture :http://www.zaber.com/wiki/Manuals/A-LST-E

- I got the code from Zaber page. In the next URL you can see the explanation of any example LabVIEW code given by the manufacture and the links of each one: http://www.zaber.com/wiki/Software/Binary_Labview_Driver

- I attache the file which I´m trying to run with the name "own version.vi". I try to used some of the examples given in the previous URL but no-one works, so I suppose that I am making the same mistake.

- On other hand, regarding to the tutorials or classes in my university I have to say that I didn´t assist to any class because my university doesn´t give courses of LabVIEW . However, I followed some short online tutorials but they are not related to this specific aim. On the other hand, I have already used Labview to take atmosferical meassures and turbuence and air speed meassures with a hot-wire anemometer in a wind tunnel.

Related to the port acces I discovered this problem before and I resolved it, so I think that this couldn´t be the cause of the present problem.

If you need any additional information , please let me know.

I would appreciate any idea or advice that could give the solution because I am stuck in this part of the experimental process. I insist, I am sure that it is a silly and obvious mistake but I am not able to find it.

Again, than you so much for your quick replay.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,478 Views)

Could you attach as a LabVIEW 2014 or lower file? (File... Save for Previous Version)

When you open the port in Zaber Console, was it an ascii or a binary port? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,470 Views)

I did what you said (file...save or previous version) and I selected 13.0 version. I attach the file.

Just in case, my file doesn´t work for a version problem I attach one of the manufacture example codes which I am not able to run.

This device used a serial port but after it is adapted to a USB port. So , I assume that it is a binary port.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,455 Views)

Did you change the baud rate? It looks like the default is 115200. Is this the only Zaber device on that port? If so, you can leave the "Device and Axis" blank. Also, the product page I found has a microstep size of 0.124023438 µm which is different from what you earlier said. Can you confirm the model number is A-LST1000A-E01?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,439 Views)

Yes , I changed the built rate to 9600 , the same baud rate used by the port and the deviced by deffault. Also, I checked that the baud rated of the device is 9600 with the Zaber Console.

Perhaps, I have confuse the reference of the product and I have misunderstood the microstep size when I looked for on the web page, but I am sure that the product is called A-LST1000A-E-01. Anyway, now in spain is midnight but tomorrow early I will be in the laboratory ,so I will try to run the programm with this microstep size (0.124023438 µm).

Than you so much for the answer, in case that tomorrow the code don´t run with the change of the microstep size I will reply this comment.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,431 Views)

Alright, if you are not getting any error, that may be your problem. It is about a factor of 16 different, so if you were trying to move it 1mm before it may have been moving 1/16 of a mm and you just didn't notice it.

If that is not the problem, I also noticed that the default communication is binary. In which case you would have to set the device to use Ascii protocol before using the A-series drivers, but I think you would see an error if this were the case...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,426 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for posting this information. The issue that you are likely running in to is that there are two communication sets, or protocols, for the A-LST linear stage. The default on this device is the Zaber Binary protocol, which works with the ZaberTSeries LabVIEW instrument driver http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=63377C8949896328E04400144F1EF8.... The driver you are using is the Zaber_A_Series, which works with the Zaber ASCII protocol http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=F70175A7AAA35676E0440021287E6E.... You can find some quick steps to change the device to use Zaber ASCII here: http://www.zaber.com/wiki/Manuals/ASCII_Protocol_Manual#Binary_to_ASCII. Once you complete this, your VI should work and you should be able to use 115200 baud rate.

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,342 Views)