LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW ofter hangs for seconds after save, run command, creating variables, etc.

Dear users,

my LabVIEW installation often hangs after common commands such as Save, Run, after creating variables (the label is draw directly, then after few seconds the variable and the wire is created), etc.

LabVIEW 14.01f (32bit)

Windows 7 64bit

The same version of LabVIEW on Windows 7 on other computers runs smoothly. Only that particular super-new and high-performance Lenovo laptop drives everybody in the team crazy.

Any suggestions, what should I check, please?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,691 Views)

How about the RAM size? And what are the other Application/Services running? Is it happenening all the time or just when you open LabVIEW?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,679 Views)

LabVIEW uses about 200-500MB of 8GB RAM. The RAM is never filled more than 50%. There are a lot of other services, as usual for Windows. Are they important? [I'll make a screenshot, when lags occure]. It's happening continuously in few hours, but not every day: action [copy, paste, run, move part of the code], LV hangs, LV ready, I can work for a couple of minutes undistracted, then again: action, hangs,....

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,502 Views)

I sometimes get lag when opening VIs that have lots of dependencies (e.g. my top level VI) and it loads them in the background.

One thing to consider is that your Anti-Virus is scanning files as they are changing which would make sense that it happens when saving/load/compiling.

Also...this might sound stupid but I have a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 laptop and I was having lots of problems with stuttering/poor performance and there were some BIOS settings / firmware updates / power saving settings I had to change to fix it. Basically the CPU was running in battery saver mode at the BIOS level even though it was plugged in and in 'performance' mode. It might be a problem with the laptop rather than LabVIEW?

Lenovo laptops are also usually full of bloatware so may be running more applications/services in the background than necessary.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,476 Views)

Other reasons for such delays can be network drives that are currently disconnected or point to resources not currently available on the network. Or installed printers pointing to printers not currently available. And last but not least system drives that are trashed with large amounts of files in important system locations.

While the first reasons can be fixed by removing such drives and printers altogheter, the last point only really is fixable by a clean reinstallation of Windows. And no it's not just LabVIEW that usually gets affacted but just about any application when accessing the file system, for instance very noticable when opening the file select dialog in any application.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,470 Views)

From the above suggested, the bloadware and the performace settings sounds plausible. I'll check those. The laptop is brand new, this year's market newcomer and used for a few months. The storage is not over-jammed.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,463 Views)

I would have a search for the make/model of the laptop and performance/stuttering issues - laptops generally don't run as fast as an equivalent desktop spec and often have more aggressive battery saving features and in my case there was a problem with a driver that caused it to always run in battery saving mode and this caused even things like web browsing to be super slow. I also uninstalled all of the extra software that came with it and it runs great now and even use it for some LabVIEW development.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,448 Views)

Hello ghighuphu,

did you install your own image or are you using the Lenovo image?

Do the hangs also occur when you are unplugged to your network?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,319 Views)

@FelixLe wrote:

Hello ghighuphu,

did you install your own image or are you using the Lenovo image?

Do the hangs also occur when you are unplugged to your network?

Best regards

It's the original (OEM) OS installation.

About the network: Well, that's hard to say. The source of our data is connected to the PC via LAN cable. And when we write code in LabVIEW, we need that network driver running. I don't know, what I should be programming or debugging, if I cannot run the program and receive some data by the device on the LAN.

And we are connected to the Internet as well, wirelessly.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,309 Views)

Hello ghighuphu,

maybe a new Windows installation with only required software would help to solve the problem.

Could you please check if the lags occur, to unplug your laptop from the network? - Just to check.

Closing your anti virus program would be an option too.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,276 Views)