From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW load error code 3

Hello,

I am facing a problem about LabVIEW load error code 3, on LB 2013.

I read others posts about it, but nothing helps me.

From time to time, when I save my file and then close it, I can't open it anymore: I get LabVIEW load error code 3: Could not load front panel.

What can I do to solve it?

BR

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,232 Views)

Marco,

can you post a VI affected by this?

How big is your front panel? Do you use specific controls before this error occurs?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,228 Views)

Hi Norbert,

My VI is big, and dependes from various sub-vis.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,221 Views)

Do you use specific controls before this error occurs? -> What kind of controls are you talking about?

Do you need all sub-VIs?

Thank you.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,218 Views)

Marco,

i tried to use VI Server to get information on the VI regarding its front panel. Sadly, this also failed.

So there are two option on why this is happening:

a) You are creating a source distribution with the LV application builder which removes the front panel from the VI file. During that build process, you overwrite the original source (which is NOT recommended).

b) Somehow, the front panel of the VIs is being corrupted during saving of the VI file. Which means: The VI file still has data for the front panel included, but it cannot be read.

Corruption of a front panel in a VI can have different sources:

- Bad harddrive

- Having the front panel out of bounds (there is a coordinate 0,0 on the front panel. Going off too far can corrupt the panel)

- Using corrupt controls (e.g. bad XControls)

- Having invalid settings for controls (can contribute to size issue). This also refers to invalid default values as well as labels/captions.

So all in all, you have to investigate "what happens before the file gets corrupted".

Do you copy the VI a lot?

Does the corruption occur only if using specific types of controls? Where does these controls come from?

Do you move things off the visible area a lot which can result in the panel going out of bounds?

Do you use characters for labels/captions which are not standard?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 5 of 10
(3,199 Views)

Hi again,

I have some backups, so I can restart from them.

I will try to understand whats going wrong.

About the sources you have mentioned:

- thats not a hard drive problem.

- could be the coordinates (the front panel is so big that came out of monitor)

- I dont think it is corrupt controls

- could be some invalid settings.

I will try to figure it out.

Thaks you again for you help.

BR

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,188 Views)

Hello,

It appened when I copy 3 controls for one sub-VI. I have put new ones instead of copy them. It is so strange because I have copy a lot of them and never appened this before. Do you think it may be because it is a big VI with lot of sub-Vis?

Thank you for your help.

BR

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,162 Views)

This used to happen with 2011 - a lot. The solution was to send the VI to NI and they would perform some sort of incantation over the body, bring it back to life and then return it to you. I have not, however, heard of it happening in 2013. You might want to check with NI to see if they can help.

Otherwise, you could always recover it from one of your backups... You do have backups, right?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 8 of 10
(3,147 Views)

Hi Mike,

Now, my VI is running well. After it appened, I make, always, new controls instead of copy them. Until now hanvet got any errors.

Thanks for your replay

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,130 Views)

Hi Marco,

Good to hear you could continue working without too much trouble. If the issue was to happen again, please contact your local NI support like Mike suggested. We're quite good at incantations 🙂

Under certain circumstances, LV 2013 returns this same error that was well known in 2011. Though the root cause is most likely unrelated, one of the ways we have to recover from it is the same so please let us know 😃

--Eric 

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

Message 10 of 10
(3,099 Views)