LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW hangs building packed library

Hi,

I have migrated most of my object libraries to PPLs (suffering the common pitfalls). But yesterday I encountered a (what I think) Biuld process specific issue:

after updating / changing som dependencies I tried to re-build, but LabVIEW locks up in the build process: the dialog says "Building packed library"

and LabVIEW can only be stopped using the Task Manager.

What I see in the target directory is, that all the dependencies are generated corretly (PPLs themselves) as well as a ZIP File with the name of the target PPL.Using 2013SP1f5

Any hints anyone?

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,803 Views)

Dear Oli_Wachno,

without code to reproduce the issue it's not going to be possible to help you. Would it be possible for you to upload the project which is giving trouble?

Best regards

AndGar

Andreas Gareis
Senior Applications Engineer, NI
Certified LabVIEW Developer & TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,767 Views)

No problem as long as it stays at NI

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,755 Views)

To get a bit more specific:

The build does not really fail, it causes LV to hang.

BuildHang.png

In fact, it keeps like that forever. Cancel Button itself can be pressed, but there is no real Cancelling the process within five  minutes or so... so in fact, LabVIEW has to be shut down using the Task Manager. This will also result in an automatic error report.

The trouble started when I changed inheritance structures within some objects in one of the dependenciy PPLs

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,731 Views)

I've build your ppl project successfully a couple of times. I've also been using LV2013SP1f5 to compile the ppl.

Do you have a second development PC available where you could try building it? How is your memory looking in the task manager when you are trying to build the ppl?

Andreas Gareis
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,724 Views)

I'm trying to get hold of one...  Will let you know, when I have results

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,716 Views)

BTW, the ressource allocation is pretty relaxed.... memory consumption jitters a tiny bit, but LV is in fact idling

BuildHang_Res.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,707 Views)

Getting weirder....

Started palying around a little bit and found out that checking Remove unused members of project libraries allowed me to have several subsequent successful builds. Then, after removing removed the Enable Debugging checkmark, same drama again... Trying to enable debugging again did NOT help.

Still on the normal development machine, haven't tried another one yet.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,691 Views)

So... finally tried on a different computer (f2 though)

Worked from scratch five times in a row until I dared to disable debugging. Reenabling debugging after restart did not solve the problem. Tried a Clean before the next try. This worked for the next build. But a subsequent build without doing any changes failed again.

On this computer, the NI Error Report did not always occur; if it didn't LV came up with the following eror message:

fehlermeldung.PNG

Might be related to f2, but maybe it might be a hint.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,657 Views)

Hey,

just to give you some feedback. After fixing a common error with my german installation of LV 2013SP1 I'm also getting your warning message between shutdowns. Other than that the build process works whether I enable or disable Debugging.

Best regards

AndGar

Andreas Gareis
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,616 Views)