LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW for Everyone, 3rd edition is now shipping!

@AntLee29 wrote:
I'm in the market for a LV8 book.  I've noticed that there are currently 3 available:  LV for Everyone by Travis & Kring, LV Graphical Programming by Johnson & Jennings, and LV8 Student Edition by NI & Biship.  Can anyone give an unbiased comparison between these three or simply recommend the best one for CLD preparation?

Thanks.

I cannot give you an unbiased comparison (for obvious reasons), but I can tell you that LabVIEW for Everyone was designed specifically with the CLD in mind and we worked directly with NI, in this regard.  Please see this post for more information.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 37
(2,505 Views)

Having NOT read anything on the event structure, my curiosity was peeked by the code "Event Tracking.VI" (found in Examples\general\uievents.llb" see page 595 of Jim's book).

The enum labeled "type" has all of the "Types" of events defined.

I never was quite sure what to do with the "Type" property.

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 08-23-2006 08:06 AM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 37
(2,476 Views)
I would like to add my voice in congratulating Jim and Jeffery for their book. I got mine during NIWeek Smiley Wink  and have been reading it as I have had the time. Having read most of the LabVIEW books published since 1992, owning a large percentage of those as well, I have to say that I am really glad to have gotten this one as it has stuff in it even for a veteran LabVIEW wirer. 

As a secondary comment to one of Jim's responses to a future CLD exam taker ("and how to utilize on of these design patterns to quickly develop a working application"), you need to be very comfortable with rapidly creating the solution to the presented problem. It is a very good idea to look on the NI site for the previous problem types, and try and come up with a clean, working, commented solution without looking at the given answers. The problem that many seem to have with the exam is first determining a method to solve the given problem, then actually producing the code. Be familiar with the current environment, more than likely at least the 8.0 development environment, as you will not have time to look for the tool/function in an unfamilar palette. If you have access to Jim and Jeffery's book, pay particular attention to the call outs, then try them out.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 37
(2,460 Views)

Looks like its been brought right up to date but I didn't notice any topic on remote operation. Still looks like it would be worth getting a copy.Smiley Happy

Ray.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 24 of 37
(2,423 Views)
Ray,

Remote panels and embedding remote panels in web pages are discussed in chapter 16.

Regards,

Jim
Message 25 of 37
(2,418 Views)
Thanks for that response Jim.Smiley Happy
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 37
(2,395 Views)
For the CLD exam... I see on ni.com that we now have to know how to use LV 8.0 Full Development System.  Since I have no access to anything later than 7.1 at work, that means loading an evaluation version of 8.0 at home.  Will that be adequate for learning everything needed over a reasonable amount of time (3+ months)?  Is the evaluation version time- or function-limited?

- Brad
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 37
(2,370 Views)

I believe the evaluation version of LabVIEW 8.0 is time-limited to 30 days.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 37
(2,343 Views)

Darren,

Thanks for the reply.  I think I'll contact NI to see how I can deal with learning it for the CLD exam.  I'm not quite ready to let go of a major amount of cash for a personal copy of LabVIEW.  I just thought of something.  If a demo/evaluation version of any program is time-limited, why couldn't I just put it on a machine that always has the internal clock set to the same date on boot-up using a batch file?  I'd definitely be willing to do that, but I suppose it somehow violates the license agreement.  I'll call NI.

- Brad

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 37
(2,297 Views)
DRS

Are you still in school? You might also want to look into the LabVIEW 8.0 Student edition to see of you qualify. Quote from the Order Page

Note: The LabVIEW Student Edition is available to students, faculty, and staff for personal educational use only. It is not intended for research, institutional, or commercial use.

Sorry, I am not a lawyer, but it seems you're using it for studying, not for commercial use. Check with NI if this is an option. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 37
(2,269 Views)