From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW executable subVI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I am looking to turn my program into an executable. I understand that upon turning my program into an executable the main VI will then be lost an I can't edit it again. I wanted to know if the SubVI's and controls used will aso be lost upon creating the executable? I only ask as I will want to use these again and therefore don't really want to make backups of all my subVI's and executables that are in various different locations.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,770 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SteveR_

Executable is different and your development code(VI,Subvi) is different.

-You can't edit exe, you can always have your development code modify it and can again create different exe.

-You can check version control SVN if you want to have multiple versions of code.

-More here: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10122 and http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C751F800E258087B86257535006DB160

Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,763 Views)

So just to confirm. If I create an exe, I obviously can't edit the exe but I wont loose any of the VI files and will still be edit those to my hearts content if I wanted to update the program at a later date.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,754 Views)

If you have a LabVIEW development PC and the code for the EXE that you generated and if you have not used any delete commands for deleting code... Smiley Wink.. Then dont worry..you can edit your code..!

Message 4 of 6
(3,749 Views)

Absolutely! This is what your project will look like when you build an executable:

project.png

All your VIs will still be there under My Computer, but you will have this extra thing (called "My Application" here, but yours will have an actually relevant name) under Build Specifications and that is your executable. Any time you want, you can modify your VIs and then right click on the executable and re-build it to make a new executable relecting those changes.

Message 5 of 6
(3,736 Views)

Yes you can edit your code later and update your exe.

Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,728 Views)