Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW does not run HP4140B .vis

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SVP1

OK, it's fixed now. It was LabVIEW 64 bit compatibility. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(1,111 Views)

I guess you learned the hard way one of the biggest reasons why LabVIEW 64-bit isn't recommended unless you have a specific reason why you need it - i.e., need a lot of memory.

Did you have LV 32-bit installed first?  If so, probably re-installing the drivers would've worked.  But if I were you, I'd abandon that line of thinking and just stick with LV 32-bit.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,102 Views)

I didn't know it wasn't recommended. No, I had never installed 32 bit.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,096 Views)

Unfortunately, it's not common knowledge, but it's very nature - being 64-bit - just about everything that it uses must be 64-bit, too.  That's not just a labVIEW requirement; it's Windows that makes such restrictions.  Notice, for example, 64-bit browsers have a lot less third-party support - except where the third party has specifically introduced a 64-bit counterpart to its 32-bit plugin.

So that means if you use 64-bit LV all the dlls that you'll be using, including any intrument drivers, must be 64-bit also.  Oftentimes a vendor will only have a 32-bit dll for their equipment.  I've even had vendors send me the source code to recompile it as 64-bit driver before if it wasn't something they were actively supporting any more.

I hope your project is going forward smoothly now.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 14 of 15
(1,091 Views)

Thank you all for your time and the immediate responses. Yes, everything OK now.

Message 15 of 15
(1,083 Views)