From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW development using a Microsoftsurface 3

Hey guys, what's up?
So, I'm just starting my labview course and I need some help.
I have a powerful desktop in home, but to take LV classes I'd need brought a laptop to the class.

So, can I buy a surface 3, running Windows 10, and use as development labview?

The surface 3 has a Atom processor and 2GB of ram..

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,250 Views)

Is it Windows 10 RT? If so, you won't be able to use it.

If it's running the full desktop version of Windows 10 then it will be fine. It's not the most powerful machine so don't expect great performance but it should run - you'll probably need a mouse though.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,237 Views)
It's full version...
Awesome! Thank you so much!!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,231 Views)

As discussed in a recent thread you will probably want a real mouse and keyboard for any extended development.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LabVIEW-Development-on-Surface-Pro/td-p/2475444

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,220 Views)

I do 90% of my development on a surface pro 3 and am very pleased, but, having a seperate keyboard and mouse is a must.  I have two setups that I use for most of my work, the first is in my office with a docking station  and 2 monitors.  The second, and the one I personally really like over having a laptop, is in my lab with the surface mounted to a stand on my bench.  Not having to share the space with a laptop and/or monitor is really nice.   I have been extremely pleased with the Surface Pro as a Tablet and Computer.  I think that what makes it so useful for me is having Microsoft Onenote with the stylus.  I use it for notes, to do lists, even simple documents.  It is really a nice tool for meetings or taking notes.  

I would reccomend not getting the Atom based system since you are also having to give up GPU speed and RAM, both of which LabViEW benefits from.  I have an I7 but I really don't think the I5 based Surface would be a bad system at all for general use.   It sounds like you are a student so you can get a 10% price break from Microosoft.  If you can hold off a bit, the rumor is that the Surface Pro 4 is coming out soon and that would mean there should be great deals on the Surface Pro 3.   Also, if you can live with a smaller screen the Surface Pro 2 would be an excellent machine to run Labview on, I used the original Surface Pro for a couple of years and it did very well with LabVIEW.  Personally I am pretty unimpressed by the Atom based machines and would consider looking at an older I5 machine before getting the Surface 3 for running LabVIEW.  I'm ducking the I3 question because I really have no experience with it and don't feel qualified to give an opinion about how it would work with LabVIEW

IMG_4295.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,198 Views)