LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW android connection

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we will consider that while making our UI.

Regarding your other comment, I dint get you actually. We are planning to directly connect the smartphone to the target via its ethernet port, where we could use the default IP of the target., so in that case there will be only one client and server, right? Else, in a wireless connection, both the target and the smartphone will be connected to the network and could share data. In that case, any other client who gets connected to the network could reduce bandwidth for each client. I was actually thinking that there will be bandwidth issues in the wireless connection. 

Thanks

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 32
(1,644 Views)
Yes, in a situation where both are direct connections the wired connection will have the bandwidth advantage. The point I was making was that in many environments the network is a shared corporate resource so many people can be using it at the same time.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 32
(1,636 Views)

@arya1 wrote:

Regarding your other comment, I dint get you actually. We are planning to directly connect the smartphone to the target via its ethernet port, where we could use the default IP of the target., so in that case there will be only one client and server, right?

I'm not aware of any smartphone that has a built in Ethernet port! What do you mean here?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(1,598 Views)
@ Mike, thanks a lot.. 🙂

@ Rolf k, my mistake. Sorry. I meant usb(type b), where we could use usb to microusb connector.

Thanks
Arya
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(1,575 Views)

Hi All

I now have a few problems associated with this. I thought that developing a web based application will be easier to do and check and proceeded with that. I came across this link which uses url calls and gets the data every time via a url call. I modified the code according to my application and tried to communicate with labview, only to find that the update rate was really slow, say around 500points per s. To see whether it is a problem with my android coding, I made a similar client application in labview and called from it via url, using labview http client VI. Even with this, I am not able to acheive a rate better than about 500 points per 100ms or so. I am sorry that i wont be able to attach my code here. 

1. Just to know if there is something wrong with my code, what is the maximum expected rate of web service data transfer?

2. I am now ok with even giving the android development part to someone professional. Should I migrate to TCP/IP? 

3. Is there any other way this could happen?

Thanks

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 32
(1,464 Views)

I also suggest you have a look at my WebSockets library (link in my signature) - it allows for a low-latency socket connection between LabVIEW and a browser by wrapping the TCP/IP functions in LabVIEW. It's responsive/quick enough to play a game of Tetris with and more recently I've made good progress with creating web-based user interfaces in HTML/Javascript - and of course, all of this works on a smartphone!

It's nearly a TCP/IP connection - so the overhead/latency is low so you should be able to achieve good data rates.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 16 of 32
(1,458 Views)

Thanks a lot Sam! 🙂 Will have a look at it and post the feedbacks in this thread. 

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(1,443 Views)

You need to update the user every 20ns so they can control the device?  Who do you have that can visually process the updates at 20ns?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 32
(1,429 Views)

Hi natasftw

It is not 20ns, its 20ms (see the first post). Yeah, as have already been suggested by Mike, this could go to the level of visual percetion at the end user. 10 - 20 ms is the rate at which the data will be coming from the program. We could also downsample the graph points and send. Also, while sending the graphdata, we also send a point which is to be updated on a chart. So, reducing the rate of graph will affect the shape of the chart as we will tend to miss points (unless both are send separately). Sorry for the confusion.

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(1,425 Views)

Hi Sam

I have installed the library and started playing around with the example code that came along with it. It certainly looks promising!! I was able to get the code running on the development PC. But what I want for the end application is to load the static web page, when the ip address along with the html page name is typed in the browser address bar of any client connected to the network. With web service examples, you could load a static web page, which in turn interact with the VI, when you give the server ip address on the client browser, like this. Could we do the same here? 

Also, instead of clicking on the webpage, I typed the ip address, with the hardcoded port number and the webpage name in the browser bar of my development PC. It returned a handshaking violation error. What could have been the issue?

I am not well versed with TCP/IP, so have started to read about it..

Edit: Looking at your tetris page, I guess that this is indeed possible! 🙂

Thanks

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 32
(1,389 Views)