LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Version 1

At NI Days this year one of the most fun aspects was watching the Challenge the Champions particpants use LabVIEW version 1 with a mac emulator.

I think it took one team about five minutes to find the block diagram...

Is it possible to get LabVIEW version 1?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,537 Views)

Running an old Mac on a stick is relatively easy now a days.  The hard part would be finding LabVIEW 1.0 for sure.  NI is not selling it for obvious reasons.  And it would make these little activies at NI Week less entertaining if all of the champions could download LabVIEW 1.0 to prepare.  I have gone to NI Week twice so far and missed out on this entertaining session both times.  Just too busy I guess.

In any case I'd suspect there are users on this forum with LabVIEW 1.0, as well as NI employees with access.  But I'd be surprised if someone posted it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,510 Views)

Hi there!

My name is Max and I'm an applications engineer here at NI. Unfortunatly we can't hand out LV 1.0 but I can explain how it was done. The emulator used was this one - <Link no longer exist> A VI was written that calls the "System Exec" function to open the emulator and pass a ROM file that had LV 1.0 on. 

I hope this helps shed some light on the subject!

Have a great day!

Max Simmonds

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,434 Views)

@msimmonds wrote:
[...] Unfortunatly we can't hand out LV 1.0 [...]
[...]

But?  But?  I have an SLA!

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,419 Views)

Back at the 20th Anniversary of LabVIEW (release of LabVIEW 8.20), there was an original MAC on the NI WEEK showroom floor running something like LabVIEW 1.2 (?) and everybody could try and use it.

Lots of fun! 😄

I have an original LabVIEW 3.1.1 demo for windows. It no longer runs on windows 7, but if you have XP (or windows XP mode under windows 7) it runs just fine. You can run several demos and even write your own programs (you cannot save though). (See this thread for some screenshots)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,405 Views)

5 minutes?!?

it's Ctrl F, And they call themselves Champions... sheesh... 

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,391 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

it's Ctrl F, And they call themselves Champions... sheesh... 

I don't think that the original macintosh had a control key. It had a different symbol.

Message 7 of 12
(4,385 Views)

You're right there. It's that little clover leaf thingy.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,377 Views)

Still does. It is the command key with a "cloverleaf" icon. LabVIEW has made things quite confusing by switching a few versions back from the Apple standard meta key to be more like Windows.  They have not been completely consistent so that some things use one meta key while others use a different one.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,375 Views)

LV1 was just for MAc.

I was shown version 1  by a nice fella who retired from our company.

I did actually use it a lot cause it was so new and a powerful concept.

In the beginning it was so powerful that it could talk to GPIB instruments directly from Macintosh. Just install a GPIB card cable and off you go. (Well maybe it was ver 1.2 or 1.5) The user interface was just like the Mac in many ways. It fit right in.

I remember we had a guy from Overseas in Liege swearing up and down to VP's that GPIB communication could not be done

with Macintosh but in NJ we were doing it no sweat. 

LV made it seem so easy.

We did not make executables back then. We just used LV1 on the Macintosh.

The best part (the part I always liked about the LV was the ability to create an indicator and actually see intermediate results, man that was advanced stuff!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,309 Views)