LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW SAP ActiveX Connection

I’ve done a fair amount of LabVIEW programming but have never had to use ActiveX. I’m attempting to use ActiveX to pull table data from our SAP system and move it into a LabVIEW application that I’ve written. I’m able to successfully connect to the SAP system but am struggling with how to pull data. It seems that I should be able to use either the "SAP Remote Function Call Control" or " SAP Table Factory” Objects. I’m unsure how to connect either of these to my existing objects and how to call a function or pull table data once properly connected. In the example attached, I’m getting error “Property Node (arg 1) in ActiveX Connect.vi”. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SAP Connect.jpg

Message 1 of 12
(8,340 Views)

I would like to know more about the VIs you are using (it is hard to know by just looking at them).

Also, do you get any error code? Can you attach a print screen of the error you get?

I found some information that could be useful to you if you have the report generation toolkit, that will allow you to call SAP transactions from Labview, but I am not sure this is what you need. You can execute ABAP code with a macro in a Visual Basic Application Module. Visual Basic Application Modules can be called with the Word Import Module and Word Run Macro VI's or the Excel Import Module and Excel Run Macro VI's found in the Report Generation Toolkit.

To call SAP Transactions:

1. In LabVIEW go to Help»Find examples»Toolkits and Modules»Report Generation for Microsoft Office»Run Macro on Word Table.vi and open that example.

2. Change the Module Code parameter to the macro that you want to execute or provide the path of the module under the Module Path parameter of the Word Import Module.vi

3. Replace the Append Numeric Table to Report.vi with the table you want to operate on.

4. Save the VI with a new name to ensure you are not writing over the Run Macro on Word example.

If this doesn't help you, please provide more inforamtion and I will try to help you.

Camilo V.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(8,299 Views)

George, I am interested in how this is progressing and how using ActiveX affects performace & restults. I am also interested in how the Word Table VIs work in all of this. My company is implimenting SAP & I'm willing to bet that I'll have to use similar tools to get to the data within SAP.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(8,286 Views)

SAP being at its core mostly a database engine too, might also offer a possibility to at least query its content through a database interface such as an ODBC or OLE/ADO driver. Have you checked into this?

If it has such a driver, the Database Toolkit would be an easier way to get at the data than trying to figure out the SAP ActiveX component on your own.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 12
(8,276 Views)

Thanks Rolf. SAP does not allow a direct ODBC connection to it's back end tables. There may be a way to do it but it would violate their license and service agreements.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(8,269 Views)

George, i want to know if you were able to pull data from a table in SAP, i'm trying to do the same but is difficult. If you have information about it please send me an e mail

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,658 Views)

I agree with rolfk. If you can get to the back end to the tables, you've already won half the battle. Going through the SAP ActiveX seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,619 Views)

The last time I looked at the database behind an "enterprise" application like SAP (but, not SAP) the table names were obfuscated.  You might not be able to figure out what you need even if you could see the database.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,608 Views)

Hi,

I'm trying to do the same thing too.I want to retrieve the data from table of SAP database to the LabVIEW. Can you help me provide the details guide on doing this.

Your help is really appreciate.

Thank You 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(6,566 Views)

Hello. We wound up cloning the SAP tables that we needed into an Oracle database. I'm pulling data from that database using the database vi's and SQL instead of pulling directly from SAP using ActiveX. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(6,548 Views)