LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Pros vs. Cons?

@Alessandro__ wrote:

The ICON in Labview are a total DISASTER.

1) time WASTED. the human langugage is descriptive BY DESIGN. An icon/gliph is CRYPTIC and not culture independent.

2) the space is too limited. 32.32 pixel, and even less because ofter I need a label on the top (for class/libraries).

3) today monitors are big, and some have problems in understanding these little stupid glyphs.

4) RETINA Support? HiDPI? LOL

Language is SUPERIOR to icons/glyphs.

Icons are for KIDS.

Those that doesn't agree with this, have a brain of a teenager or doesn't even know with is software. You choose. LOL

So this is a strong WEAK point of labview that hurts the platform in everyday work.

Either let bigger icons, or something else.

LabVIEW is a joke in 2015. NI should invent another tool to make code. Another IDE, another language, a mix of graphical and code.... I don't know..... LabVIEW after 25 years is a dead end.

Bless your heart.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 211 of 231
(1,924 Views)

If you want to have a real discussion don't say such silly things.

Message 212 of 231
(1,916 Views)

i74hr.jpg

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 213 of 231
(1,909 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Alessandro,

Icons are a lot more recognizable than text.

Street sign use icons a lot more often than text. Everywhere in the world.

As Tim stated: icon size is a limitation, but not icon usage itself…

Not to mention that most of the world uses pictures to communicate.  Highyl stylized pictures, but pictures, nonetheless.  (Think: all the Asian countries.  As an aside, I wonder what someone who only knew Chinese would say about the ease of use, LV vs a text language?)

And to use a text language, you have to know the English language or it doesn't make sense.  e.g., Why is a "struct" named a "struct"?  Because it's shorthand for a structure which accurately describes what it is.  In LabVIEW, I know what a VISA write node does because "VISA write" pretty much sums up what it does.  I have no idea what it's named in Chinese, but it doesn't matter.  For a Chinese person, the name is in that person's native language and is easy for that person to understand.  Imagine if C++ were written in, say, Swedish.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 214 of 231
(1,882 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

@Alessandro__ wrote:

The ICON in Labview are a total DISASTER.

1) time WASTED. the human langugage is descriptive BY DESIGN. An icon/gliph is CRYPTIC and not culture independent.

2) the space is too limited. 32.32 pixel, and even less because ofter I need a label on the top (for class/libraries).

3) today monitors are big, and some have problems in understanding these little stupid glyphs.

4) RETINA Support? HiDPI? LOL

Language is SUPERIOR to icons/glyphs.

Icons are for KIDS.

Those that doesn't agree with this, have a brain of a teenager or doesn't even know with is software. You choose. LOL

So this is a strong WEAK point of labview that hurts the platform in everyday work.

Either let bigger icons, or something else.

LabVIEW is a joke in 2015. NI should invent another tool to make code. Another IDE, another language, a mix of graphical and code.... I don't know..... LabVIEW after 25 years is a dead end.

Bless your heart.

Uh-oh.  Being that I understand some basic Southern US culture, this can't be a good thing.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 215 of 231
(1,880 Views)

While you are all debating apples and oranges, I sit in the corner and have a banana.

Cheers!

Message 216 of 231
(1,828 Views)

Ben,

I can not wait to see your presentation at NIWeek.  Sound like an very interesting case study.  Let me know if we can help in anyway.

Jamie

0 Kudos
Message 217 of 231
(1,736 Views)

@Jamie_Smith wrote:

Ben,

I can not wait to see your presentation at NIWeek.  Sound like an very interesting case study.  Let me know if we can help in anyway.

Jamie

Paper was rejected!

Smiley Sad

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 218 of 231
(1,409 Views)

The paper of which I spoke in my previous posts to this thread is now available here. As I previously mentioned that project was a Proof-of-Concept that had two development teams working on the same goal but the traditional team used C# and multiple custom built boards and the LabVIEW version used a sbRIO. I consider it a true apples to apples comparison between a team of developers using C# and a one man team (augmented whe nneeded) using LabVIEW. 

Other papers we have written can be found here.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 219 of 231
(1,338 Views)

Always a good sign when you can write an entire paper about how well the race went while your opponent still hasn't even finished the race.

Message 220 of 231
(1,321 Views)