LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Program Execution - Tab Key Driven vs Mouse Click Driven ???

Solved!
Go to solution

Currently, user collects many data points (measurements, weights etc) with one hand on work and the other hand on the laptop to run the LabVIEW Program. Instead of using the mouse to interactively control the LabVIEW Front Panel Controls, can the Tab button be used instead ? I searched the LabVIEW help and found you can set the tabbing order of the Front Panel Text Boxes and Ok Buttons etc using “Edit>Set Tabbing Order” but when the tab button is pressed at run time, nothing happens other than each item in the Front Panel becomes highlighted but the Ok Button does not activate etc ?

Can the Tab Key be used as a substitute for the Mouse during normal LabVIEW Program Execution ???

Any facts/opinions/feedback on this possibility would be much appreciated !

Thanks !

Barry

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,374 Views)

Ok button should work. You just need to hit the 'enter' key.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,369 Views)

Yes, I understand you can press the enter key for an okay button instead of a mouse click but the user wants to solely use the "Tab" key to acknowledge the user input text boxes and associated okay buttons similarly how you use the Tab key in MS Excel.

Thanks !

Barry

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,365 Views)

Hi Barry,

What to you mean by acknowledge the text box and okay button?  The Tab won't change the value of the okay button, but it should allow you to modify the value of the text input.  If you are trying to run certain code when you change the value, then you should look into event structures with a Value Changed event.

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,327 Views)

This particular interactive program waits for the operator to input data into a text box and then the associated Ok button is pressed. The Program proceeds to the next text box and waits for the operator to input data into it and then the associated Ok button is pressed etc, etc. The user would like to solely use the "Tab" Key to move from each text box for entry then to the next associated Ok Button for acknoweledgement to allow the program to continue to th next text box entry etc. I just wanted to investigate the possiblility of using the "Tab" Key for this action instead of using the standard mouse click.

From what you said previously, the tab key won't change the value of or "acknoweldge" the okay buttons so it must be driven solely by mouse clicks, correct ?

Thanks !

Barry

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,319 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author biernaskieb

Hi Barry,

You can change the value of okay buttons by tabbing to them and pressing enter.

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,314 Views)

Okay thanks, that answers my question !

Thanks !

Barry

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,310 Views)