From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW NXG for students

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I know I can ask the local NI reps about this, but maybe getting feedback here can help future readers too (just before someone posting: "contact NI" 😉 )...

We do not give our institute license keys (we have two different ones: "Developer Suite for Research" and "Academic Site License for LabVIEW") to students to use on their private laptops (these keys give me access to NXG).

For "normal" LV, the students can use LV at the institute machines, or they can get access to student keys/copies via the NI website (as I remember for start, they can get 6 months eval copy of LabVIEW?).

My question is, if I wanna teach LV NXG in this autumn, what access should I propose to the students for home practicing on their private laptops?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
(6,402 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,350 Views)

@iit_Kharagpur wrote:

now it's free... http://www.ni.com/en-in/support/software-technology-preview.html

You are wrong. I was not talking about the NXG Preview. But about the ready product LabVIEW NXG 1.0.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,340 Views)

But actually you are right in the sense that the preview is just fine for simple learning for students...Lets see the status of the NXG 2.0 around September... Also, as I understood, NXG comes as an "extra" beside LabVIEW, so I imagine if a student requests a student copy of LV 2017, then NXG should be also available...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,195 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

Just watching some of the NIWeek videos, and I got an answer for my actual question 🙂

NI extends the Academic Site license to also cover the private computers of the students! This is great, our under- and aftergraduate students now can use the same license what we 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5thnCuWZBfk

So I think I just mark this post as solution...

Message 5 of 7
(6,164 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

Hey Blokk,

I'm Rhys - the one from that video 🙂 Just got home after packing up NIWeek. What an awesome year it was! So tired now, but very satisfied.

You are right, "Student Install" through the Academic Site License is the right way to go. That is the name we are using to refer to it.

All Academic Site Licenses will now be shipped two serial numbers when they purchase their annual renewal. One for the perpetual license for the university computers. The other one for the expiring license to share with the students. The Student Install expires after 1 year. Returning students on the next year will have to get the next Student Install serial number from the university IT. Same info here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/53653/en/

If you have an active Academic Site License and want to get Student Install sooner than your next renewal date, we can do that super easy. Just call the local branch and customer services will give you your student install serial number. Best have the academic site license serial number with you when you call, this will make it easier to look up.

Hope your students now have fun with NI inside and outside their classes!

Message 6 of 7
(6,137 Views)

Thanks for the detailed info!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,128 Views)