From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Instrument Library class

I have designed a bunch of LVClasses based on instrument functionality, that dynamically call specific instruments. However, I would like to have these LVClasses outside my built EXE, so that I can add new instruments to my library without having to re-build my EXE code. There's a "generic" LVClass layer in the EXE code that would be part of the library, and what specific instruments are dynamically dispatched are chosen at runtime based off of a config file.

So that's the background. I will attempt to attach a small dummy LVProj to illustrate what I'm trying to do. The "Instrument Example EXE.vi" would be the code in the EXE, and the classes in the LVProj would be the "library".

Here's my question: What's the best way to contain that LVClasses "library", so that the EXE code can easily call it, and the library can be updated with new instruments? I know there are llbs, and lvlibs, but I'm curious in any of your opinions on what would be the best architecture for managing this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,088 Views)

You may want to look into using packed project libraries. This example walks through the process of creating these libraries, which can be modified and updated independently of the main application.

It may also be worth posting this question to the LAVA OOP forums as well. There are a lot of active members over there who work quite frequently with LVOOP and may have some further suggestions on architecting your application.

Good luck with your project!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,046 Views)

You can try a plugin architecture also

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,033 Views)