From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Home Edition???

The App Builder is only a part of LabVIEW Professional.  It is a separate add-on for the Base and Full versions.

0 Kudos
Message 71 of 114
(3,340 Views)

@Eric1977 wrote:
Just my two cents but this is a very good reason not to include the application builder in the Home Edition. If they truely want this, then I'd say make the price high so that the user would have to at leaset get the Base system which would already come with the app builder.

What prevents an alliance partner (or similar) to start building executables for the maker community for some extra side income? All he would need is the zipped project folder and a few minutes. Of course it could become a little more complicated if hardware drivers and such are involved...

Still, standalone executables are not really needed because I believe that maker programs should be open source and distributed as VIs to others that also have the LabVIEW home edition. This fuels innovation and leads to better code in the long run.

It seems that the General Purpose Software Agreement has not been updated to mention the Home edition, so I am extrapolating :D. I think the same user is still allowed to install on up to 3 computers locally with one activation code so there should be no problem to e.g. have a desktop to develop and two beater PC to run some home automation or specialized hardware. Since per licence agreement only one PC can run LabVIEW at any given time, He simply needs to temporarily not run the home automation etc. while he is developing.

Message 72 of 114
(3,323 Views)

I haven't kept up on this as well as I should, but it appears that Digilent just released the Home Edition on their website. At least they just tweeted about it!

Yay 🙂

Message 73 of 114
(3,130 Views)

Digilent also just released the LabVIEW Physical Computing Kit  which includes a chipKIT WF32 (with onboard wifi) and LabVIEW Home License for $89.   We have a getting started tutorial series for this kit here on LabVIEW MakerHub.

-Sam K

Message 74 of 114
(3,127 Views)

It's a good idea to make a cheap version.
But if we can not create a standalone executable, this is a big handicap.
Labview is surely the only editor who sells a development software that can run its own programs only at the inside of its IDE !
By cons, this version can show its possibilities to those who have never used this software.

0 Kudos
Message 75 of 114
(2,941 Views)

I haven't seen any announcement so I don't know how long this has been the case, but the Home Edition is now available in Europe!

I got a copy from http://www.mirifica.it/store/ but it's also listed at http://shop.trenz-electronic.de/ . I'm in the UK, fwiw.

0 Kudos
Message 76 of 114
(2,664 Views)

LabVIEW Home is now available from Conrad as well.

-Sam K

0 Kudos
Message 77 of 114
(2,653 Views)

I own a Keithley 2700.

Will I be able to use it with Home Edition?

0 Kudos
Message 78 of 114
(2,544 Views)

Yes. Of course you either need an RS232 or GPIB cable + interface for your PC. Plus install the VISA drivers (RS232) or the NI-488.2 (GPIB) drivers to be able communicate. After one of these drivers, download the device driver itself:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=0470C9F181C02E75E0440003BA7CCD...

(unpack the driver folder under your LabVIEW "instr.lib" folder, and restart LV)

0 Kudos
Message 79 of 114
(2,536 Views)
If you use the Help> Find Instrument Drivers, it will be automatically installed and no need to restart LabVIEW.
Message 80 of 114
(2,502 Views)