LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Home Edition???

@Kristoff2 wrote:
There is a LabVIEW Home Edition watermark. 

Refer to my earlier comment about false advertising.  Not that you own or control the Digilent site, but having an image of the software, which was taken from another version of the software, could be misleading.

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 114
(2,882 Views)

@Kristoff2 wrote:

Blokk,

1. We're working with partners like Digilent to create low cost, maker friendly hardware bundles with LabVIEW Home to help provide the best getting started experience possible for new users.  We decided not to sell LabVIEW Home through NI.com at this point because we were not able to create the web experience we wanted in the timeframe we set for the LabVIEW Home release.
  2. I'll share a link to the NI 'product page' shortly (just waiting for it to go live again).  I was super excited to share the news as soon as Digilent's page went live.
  3. The LabVIEW Home Bundle includes:
         LabVIEW Full Development System
         LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation Module
         LabVIEW MathScript RT Module

All licensed for non-commercial use.  There is no 'expiration'.  There is a LabVIEW Home Edition watermark.

4. We're working on training specifically designed for makers using LabVIEW on the LabVIEW MakerHub website.  We already have a start on LabVIEW Basics and tutorial series for the upcoming Digilent and Sparkfun Bundles and we have plans for a lot more.
  5. For simplicity, the current plan is for LabVIEW Home to remain on 2014 SP1 for a while, but this is something we're still evaluating.

Thanks!

-Sam K

Thanks very much for the detailed answer! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 114
(2,877 Views)

This was certainly not intented to be devious.  The images on the Digilent page are just parts of front panels / block diagrams.

Here is what the watermark will look like:

watermark - Copy.png

-Sam K

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 114
(2,863 Views)

Just for information, for those who live not in the USA:

I have checked how I could order the LV Home Bundle from Digilent Inc. from EU. The cost of the software is 49 USD + the shipping fee (FedEX 56 USD or UPS Int. 87 USD). And do not forget you might have to pay the import VAT and/or duty fee, depending on which country you live in.

So altogether the cost is for sure above 100 USD if you live in EU.

I also contacted one EU distributor of Digilent, called Trenz Electronic GmbH in Germany. I have got the info that they did not get the permission from Digilent to sell LabVIEW Home Bundle in Europe. Is there any plan for the future to make this product available outside US?

(Anyway, I will get it via some relatives who live in USA, and just get the licence key via email...)

Sorry if the above is a bit "off-topic", but I thought this info can be useful for others like me living outside US.

Message 44 of 114
(2,787 Views)

Great question.  As you found out, you can order directly from Digilent from around the world, but may end up paying international shipping.  We plan to offer LabVIEW Home through distributors around the world to avoid overly expensive shipping charges.

You can find a list of all distributors on the NI product page for LabVIEW Home in the resources tab.  Digilent is the only supplier listed there at the moment, but more will be added in the future.  

-Sam K

Message 45 of 114
(2,744 Views)

@Kristoff2 wrote:

1. For simplicity, the current plan is for LabVIEW Home to remain on 2014 SP1 for a while, but this is something we're still evaluating.

I'm curious, what are the reasons for not keeping the Home edition up to date with the latest LabVIEW versions in the future?

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 114
(2,713 Views)

Simplicity and user experience.

It don't expect LabVIEW Home to be 'stuck' on LabVIEW 2014 SP1 forever, but as we were thinking about how to handle upgrades without an option for SSP it made sense to just stick with 2014 SP1 for immediate future.  It also makes it easier for new users to get the right software set using labviewmakerhub.com/labview.  That page lets you download LabVIEW, VISA, CD&SIM, Mathscript RT with one click each and they are all the 'correct/compatible' version for LabVIEW Home.

This gives us time to work on the best solution for makers using LabVIEW to keep up to date in the future.

-Sam K

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 114
(2,705 Views)

I got into Labview at school and purchased a Labview Student License then (via Sparkfun).

Today, I develop test systems w/ Labview, thanks a lot to extrensive playing with LIFA.

The next step now is to see if labview home/student edition will one day support developping for SBC's (Raspberry Pi and the likes)

Thanks for providing a low cost alternative for hobbyist.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 114
(2,703 Views)

I would like it if someone could summarize the difference between the version that was sold bundled with Arduino, and this new Home version.

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 114
(2,646 Views)

I suspect that it is due to license manager and activation issues, but it appears that the Home editions is Windows only.  Any prospects for a version for otherOSes?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 114
(2,630 Views)