LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Home Edition Roadmap

LabVIEW Home edition (LVH) is frozen on LabVIEW 2014.

I would really be pissed if I purchased LVH-2014 only to have LVH-2017 or LV-NXG Home Edition released a couple months later.  

I know LVH is only $50 but that is not really the point...  Does anyone know the roadmap for LabVIEW Home edition?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 1 of 6
(3,304 Views)

I assume you would get 12 months of updates so it should not be a worry.  I don't know this for a fact though.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,300 Views)

Michael: no, recently if you buy the home edition, it does not give you any update. It gives you version 2014 (I own a home edition licence key). Once i read some explanation why NI does not want to update the home edition, or at least not often: they claim that some toolkits for arduino, hobbyist platforms, etc. would not support newer LabVIEW. But i do not know details.

Edit:

but this claim about compatible toolkits is a bit weak. Since if they extend the home edition licence to version 2017, you still could install older versions if your toolkit requires it. Well, this is their recent business decision, let's hope and ask, they change it! 🙂

RTSLVU: i raised the same question, but no official NI reply so far:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LabVIEW-Home-Edition-2016-and-2017/m-p/3634041/highlight/true#M10203...

Message 3 of 6
(3,262 Views)

50 bucks for full blown LabVIEW.  At work I have LV 2014,2015,2016 and 2017 (we get all the updates). We just have the CHEAP A**  $999.000 version. and a few licenses. My LabVIEW Home 2014 is so much more powerful than our 2017 work version it is absolutely wonderful to have this in a learning/ Hobby environment.  Thanks! NI .....

Message 4 of 6
(3,243 Views)

Depending on the licence at your workplace (i.e. a normal vs an Academic Site licence, if you're an academic institution) might be worth checking the terms regarding the 2017 ASL - although I'm not sure of the details the keynotes at NIWeek 2017 discussed how the 2017 version would cover academics' personal computers, rather than just the workplace computers.

If your business is buying a normal licence, doesn't help you though.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,218 Views)

That is correct, i am eligible to install and use academic licence at home. And i do it 🙂

But imagine a scenario, if i stay without job for a couple of years, or that actual job does not involve LabVIEW programming. It would be great to be able to keep our LabVIEW knowledge up to date with the latest version... For example, I cannot use channels with LabVIEW 2014... 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,215 Views)