From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Freezes, cDaq 'Active' Flashes

Hello all,

I've been frustrated by a bug during development. I have programmed a VI to run in a while loop, and perform different tasks based on instrumentation readings via a case structure.  Two days ago i was running the program with no issues.  Yesterday when I came in after making zero changes, LabVIEW locks up after running the program for about 2 seconds.  I've removed nearly all of my progress to the point where it's nearly bare-bones, and it's still having issues.  I've also tried it on another PC, using another cDaq chassis, and with various timing functions thinking I had a race condition.

So here's the short story:

-Program freezes after running for a few seconds in a while loop.

-Program runs without issues with execution highlighted.

-When LabVIEW freezes, the cDaq chassis (9174) 'active' light flashes.

I've attached an image of the VI loop where it crashes.  If you guys want the VI, I can upload that as well, you just won't be able to run it because there are a lot of sub-vi's as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,605 Views)

Interesting development.  I was called out of the office immediately following another lock-up.  I just got back about 15 minutes later, and it appears to have recovered and is running smoothly and consistently.  I'll post here if I discover more, so that others with similar issues may find a solution if I find one. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,590 Views)

LV can lockup or freeze, but it is very rare. Your problem is not LV freezing, because it was clearly doing something. Your problem is with the code you wrote.

However, based on what your code looks like from the screenshot, I couldn't even begin to guess where the problem is.

What is it that your program is actually trying to do?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,577 Views)

Well,

I had removed all functionality from that program while "debugging", so essentially all it is doing is passing through that case structure as if it's not there (might as well be deleted).  The lower left sub-vi's are just taking a cluster of data, splitting it into different catagories (temperature, pressure, speed), and plotting them.  The grouping at the bottom is setting the x-axis range of a waveform based on a numeric input.  So basically it's just plotting data on charts.

I have been unable to replicate the issue, following LabVIEW and PC restarts.  I'm concerned that the issue may come up again in a compiled version of the program once it's complete.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,552 Views)