LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Development Team: Windows Vista May Degrade OpenGL

A while back, I started some threads about the OpenGL/Mesa graphics that are at the heart of LabVIEW [and I suppose the reason that LabVIEW can support cross platform porting to Linux/OSX/Solaris/etc]:
OpenGL hardware acceleration for the LabVIEW's OpenGL graphics engine?

Tips for tweaking graphics hardware acceleration of Mesa & the mesa.dll implementation on Win32 platforms?
In summary: The Mesa implementation of OpenGL on Win32 platforms does NOT support hardware acceleration.

Just now, however, a thread was started over at Slashdot, which indicates that the situation for Win32/Win64 could become much worse: In the next generation of Microsoft operating systems, OpenGL will only exist as a software layering over [or "wrapper around"] the underlying DirectX software, i.e. OpenGL will no longer exist as a separate infrastructure, and LabVIEW graphics performance could take an enormous hit:
Windows Vista May Degrade OpenGL
Definitely something to keep your eye on.

Message 1 of 3
(5,019 Views)
About a third of the way down the main thread, there's a good subthread here:
It looks like the hardware manufacturers [ATi, nVidia, 3Dlabs, etc] are calling on the software manufacturers [like National Instruments] to join with them in applying pressure on Microsoft to change this approach to OpenGL.

Message 2 of 3
(5,015 Views)
It looks as thought the situation could be a little more complicated than the initial headlines suggested, and there are a fair number of people on the Slashdot thread who are defending Microsoft's approach.

Anyway, it's definitely something the LabVIEW community needs to be aware of.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,008 Views)