LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW (Core 1 and Core 2) & LabWindows/CVI (Core 1 and Core 2)

Hello,

TestStand Certified is for Test Engineers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I read under the "TestStand Training and Certification" section on www.ni.com and it saids; if I want to certifying for the "Certified TestStand Developer (CTD) for my job's title, I need to pass either LabVIEW Core 1 and Core2 or LabWindows/CVI Core 1 and 2.

I am very strong in C, C++, and Embedded Languages (C, Verilog, and VHDL).

Question:

Should I train/update on LabWindows/CVI Core 1 and Core 2 (instead of LabVIEW Core 1 and Core 2) since my back ground is in Software Engineer or part of Embedded System Engineer?.

I am appreciate if you let me know the right direction.

Thanks,

Jonathan Tran

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,342 Views)

@jotran00 wrote:

Hello,

TestStand Certified is for Test Engineers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It's a little strongly worded, but I suppose you could say that test engineers would benefit most from it.

I read under the "TestStand Training and Certification" section on www.ni.com and it saids; if I want to certifying for the "Certified TestStand Developer (CTD) for my job's title, I need to pass either LabVIEW Core 1 and Core2 or LabWindows/CVI Core 1 and 2.

I am very strong in C, C++, and Embedded Languages (C, Verilog, and VHDL).

Question:

Should I train/update on LabWindows/CVI Core 1 and Core 2 (instead of LabVIEW Core 1 and Core 2) since my back ground is in Software Engineer or part of Embedded System Engineer?.

In your case, I would recommend LabWindows/CVI unless you are already very familiar with LabVIEW.  LabWindows/CVI is a framework for engineers skilled in C.  (You could've Googled this part in ten seconds, y'know.)

I am appreciate if you let me know the right direction.

Thanks,

Jonathan Tran

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,333 Views)

Thanks so much,

Jonathan Tran

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,317 Views)

Hello Bill,

I would like to read your words,

Is TestStand skilled for Test Engineer?

Thanks,

Jonathan Tran

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,310 Views)

@jotran00 wrote:

Hello Bill,

I would like to read your words,

Is TestStand skilled for Test Engineer?

Thanks,

Jonathan Tran

Sorry, I didn't realize we have a language barrier here.  Yes, this would be a good thing for a test engineer.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,300 Views)
The TestStand certification is based on knowing TestStand and not LabVIEW or LabWindows. Your company can choose to use either, both, or neither one for code modules. If you are already working as a test engineer, then your company can probably benefit from adopting TestStand as a standard. After using it for several months, take the CTD exam. If you aren't using it currently and want something on your resume, you are going about it backwards.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,286 Views)

Thanks,

Jonathan Tran

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,276 Views)

TestStand is a software tool for automating testing - it allows you to build test sequences and handles the pass/fail result of each test and has in-built reporting capabilities. The tests themselves (i.e. the code-modules that interact with hardware) can be written in many languages (e.g. LabVIEW, CVI etc.).

If you are a test engineer in that you are implementing test sequences from test specifications etc., then TestStand is a good tool to learn - I believe there are two TestStand courses that NI offer which lead to the CTD (TestStand Developer) and CTA (TestStand Architect) certifications.

If you need to go further and develop the code modules to interact with hardware/implement your tests - then you need to know a programming language (e.g. LabVIEW, CVI etc.). That is where the LabVIEW/CVI Core 1 and Core 2 courses would be beneficial.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,223 Views)

This is great idea, thanks,

Jonathan Tran

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,203 Views)