From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Compare Tool load time of files from repository

Solved!
Go to solution

I have the LabVIEW compare tool setup for differences for .ctl and .vi files in Surround SCM source code control system.  The source code control system runs on a networked server.  My PC is on the same network as the server.

When the LabVIEW compare tool reads VIs that are from a source control repository for diffing against files on my computer, it seems to load the repository files from a temporary folder located in users\username\appdata.  It takes a long time to load VIs that have lots of subVIs because as the tool searches for each subVI the tool begins its search in the vi.lib and instr.lib folders before finding the subVI in the temporary folder.  It is taking a few seconds and sometimes as much as 10 seconds to load each subVI.  This takes a lot of time to Diff VIs that have many subVIs.  Is there a way to make the diffing process go quicker?  Or is this something that would need to be fixed in the LabVIEW compare tool?

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,513 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author glstill

That's the normal behavior of the LVCompare.exe, and the folders at which starts looking for subVIs or control files (.ctl) cannot be modified. The available options that can be configured are the following:

Configuring Source Control with LVCompare.exe

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/configlvcomp_thirdparty/

Message 2 of 4
(2,478 Views)

It seems that this unreasonably long load time is a bug or something that could be addressed as an enhancement.  How do i report this to NI so that they can decide if it is something worth fixing?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,474 Views)

In order to report a bug, call NI technical support and open a service request ticket; since this issue is not really critical/system down, the priority will be very low.

Message 4 of 4
(2,461 Views)