From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW CPU Stress Tester

Solved!
Go to solution

Anybody have a CPU stress tester program writen in LabVIEW that will floor all logical CPUs to 100%?  Thought this would be an easy task but I think the compiler optimizations are so good now-a-days that the best I can do is get a sustained 65% when I use a For-loop with iteration parallelism set to the "# of logical cores".   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,510 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SeanDonner

Hi Sean,

this little VI puts my i7-4700 to 96-99% at 130% turbo boost:

check.png

(Parallelism to 8 cores…)

You know there are special tools to keep the CPU as busy as it can? "Burn-in tests" will use most/all parts of a modern CPU (like SSEx,MMX,FPU,…).

That little VI above will probably only use some FPU commands…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(3,497 Views)

Why not place several tight while loops (e.g. 😎 on the diagram instead of using a single parallel loop.

Also note that you only have 4 actual cores and it might not be possible to keep all 8 virtual cores busy due to contention.

(I was able to keep 32 virtual cores (16 real cores) busy 100%, see the bottom graph here)

Message 3 of 6
(3,465 Views)

Thanks, I creating a fixed random array of similar lengh then doing a linear search on it with a randomly generated number on each iteration thinking that would do it; this is much simpler and does get me to 98% on average.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,447 Views)

Prime95 is the most commonly used program for stress testing CPUs (e.g. by overclockers) if you're not particularly looking for a LabVIEW solution.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,408 Views)

I'm familiar with Prime95 and the main reason I wanted a LabVIEW solution is because I don't have to jump through any of our corporate bureaucracy to get software approved for installation if I write it myself.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,369 Views)