LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW CPU Stress Tester

Solved!
Go to solution

Anybody have a CPU stress tester program writen in LabVIEW that will floor all logical CPUs to 100%?  Thought this would be an easy task but I think the compiler optimizations are so good now-a-days that the best I can do is get a sustained 65% when I use a For-loop with iteration parallelism set to the "# of logical cores".   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,477 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SeanDonner

Hi Sean,

this little VI puts my i7-4700 to 96-99% at 130% turbo boost:

check.png

(Parallelism to 8 cores…)

You know there are special tools to keep the CPU as busy as it can? "Burn-in tests" will use most/all parts of a modern CPU (like SSEx,MMX,FPU,…).

That little VI above will probably only use some FPU commands…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(3,464 Views)

Why not place several tight while loops (e.g. 😎 on the diagram instead of using a single parallel loop.

Also note that you only have 4 actual cores and it might not be possible to keep all 8 virtual cores busy due to contention.

(I was able to keep 32 virtual cores (16 real cores) busy 100%, see the bottom graph here)

Message 3 of 6
(3,432 Views)

Thanks, I creating a fixed random array of similar lengh then doing a linear search on it with a randomly generated number on each iteration thinking that would do it; this is much simpler and does get me to 98% on average.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,414 Views)

Prime95 is the most commonly used program for stress testing CPUs (e.g. by overclockers) if you're not particularly looking for a LabVIEW solution.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,375 Views)

I'm familiar with Prime95 and the main reason I wanted a LabVIEW solution is because I don't have to jump through any of our corporate bureaucracy to get software approved for installation if I write it myself.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,336 Views)