From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[LabVIEW Bug Report] Exploding graph legend

Contemplate this copy of a XY Graph:

Exploded Legend.png

and show some sympathy to the user who realizes their mistake and tries to undo the pasting of the wrong clipboard content into a plot's legend, only to discover that that does nothing to shrink the legend back to its original size.

As a matter of fact, an undo is powerless in this situation (at least in my hands).

I call that a bug.

The problem is, I have encountered that bug only at runtime and have been unable yet to come up with a simple example showing the problem.

The attached VI has a copy of the Graph shown above, as well as a few examples of what happens when one copies a large string (with lots of CR) into a plot's legend, depending on whether the legend is set to autosize or not. All of the "oops" moments are either undoable or uneventful.

There's got to be something in the underlying code that fails (see picture above), so I will report this to NI for a CAR, but I wonder if I am the only one to have encountered this problem?

Tested in LV 2016 64 bit in Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,400 Views)

That seems like a bug to me.

Out of curiosity, did you intend to paste something into the legend, or was it an accident?  What is the use case for wanting to paste something into the legend?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,366 Views)

Accident. It has happened to me several times. I just felt "enough" today...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,354 Views)

I'd say bug.  Mainly because the undo didn't fix it.

I just remembered the use case of pasting into the legend.  You can edit the names of the series by clicking into and typing a new name for a plot.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,346 Views)