LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Bug Report: Error Ring Edit + Cancel modifies the owning VI

If you click on an Error Ring constant to see what message it hides (or to select another error, etc) and, in the dialog window, press Cancel (whether or not you have done anything at ail), this will modify the VI the error ring is in.

This should not be the case if no change has been made to the error ring constant.

Tested in LV 2015f2 64 bit (Windows 7)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,019 Views)

This is a big "Grrrr" for me.  The same thing happens to a combo box when I edit the items and the cancel.  I wonder if the error ring is just a fancy combo box so the same thing happens?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,992 Views)

If there is no good answer by Monday I'll try to ask some people who might know because it seems interesting.

I'm not sure about the combo box but the error ring is an xnode and it seems like they will give you a dirty dot if any ability is called regardless of whether or not is actually does anything. I'm guessing it's the case of not good but expected behavior, we can CAR it if it's not though.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,962 Views)

I thought this was a dirty asterisk. I stand corrected.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,949 Views)

X.

I talked to some of our Product Support Engineers about this. They asked me to look into a few more things, but the behavior will likely result in a CAR from what I know about this so far.

I'll post back if I do or don't end up creating a CAR but as a heads up I've been a bit busy so it may take a few days. That is unless someone else from NI would like to take a look at it instead, you won't hurt my feelings if you do.

Message 5 of 10
(3,894 Views)

Better late than never. I created CAR #571353: Error Ring Causes Dirty Dot When No Parameters Are Modified.

Becuase I am a bit late I'll also show some pretty similar behavior that I noted in the CAR. Open the attached VI and do the following to produce a dirty dot.

1. Double click Set Dynamic Data Attributes and press escape

2. Select "Signal In" from the Set Dynamic Data Attributes and then select "Signal In" again from the menu.

You can try the same two things with the filter VI which is an actual Express VI and it doesn't have this behavior. I feel like this behavior should be explainable but I'll leave that to someone smarter than myself.

Message 6 of 10
(3,651 Views)

Did you check to see whether the combo box issue I mentioned above is related or not?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,635 Views)

I don't know whether it's related but I went back and added a note to the CAR that the combo box has very similar behavior when selecting edit items.

To me it seems related but I don't know enough to make that judgement call.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,601 Views)

The first Node in your Example.vi shows the XNode Wizard menu when right-clicked on, while the other one doesn't... Maybe an indication of the different natures of the beasts?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,580 Views)

@X. wrote:

The first Node in your Example.vi shows the XNode Wizard menu when right-clicked on, while the other one doesn't... Maybe an indication of the different natures of the beasts?

I was trying to show that it definitely was unexpected behavior becuase Express VIs work one way where as Xnodes that look like Express VIs behave another way. My opinion (as a user not developer) is that if LabVIEW is trying to show them as the same thing, they should act the same which is what I was trying to show.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,558 Views)