LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8.5 finds no visa resources

I'm having a problem I've never seen before. I'm configuring a computer to replace one that failed on a test set. I'm using LabVIEW 8.5 with VISA 4.2. MAX sees all the VISA resources just fine, whether I'm logged in as administrator or as the test user. But, LabVIEW only sees the resources when I'm logged in as admin. When I log in as a regular test user, it sees no VISA resources at all. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both LabVIEW and VISA, but the problem persists. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,519 Views)

Hi Mike,

When you say you cannot see the VISA resources in LabVIEW, what do you mean exactly? Do you mind taking screenshots to compare what the administrator sees versus what the test user sees? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,482 Views)

Hi Yiran,

Unfortunately, this computer is on a closed network, so I can't bring much out. But, when I put a VISA resource control on the front panel of a VI as admin and then click the down arrow, I get a drop down list of all the VISA resources I see in MAX. From the regular use log in all I see in the drop down is the word "Refresh", which, if I select it, does nothing.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,473 Views)

Hi Mike, 

That sounds like it might be a permissions issue somewhere. Are you just creating a control off of the Visa Open VI? Also is it possible for the test user to run LabVIEW as admin?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,451 Views)

Hi Yiran,

Yes, if I run LabVIEW as admin from the user account it behaves normally. I've never had an issue like this on previous LabVIEW installations. LabVIEW always worked the same from all user accounts. Is there a way to fix this on this computer?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,443 Views)

Hi Mike,

That's definitely seems to be a strange permissions issue somewhere. Please try running the VISA Find Resource VI to see if you find the list of resources you typically see in NI MAX or if you see the blank list you that you current experience with a VISA control. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,430 Views)