LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8.5 This is the application template and cannot be run alone

Hello,

I'm trying to build an executable with the corresponding installer with LabVIEW 8.5.

The building process is OK but when I want to run my application (after installation of course), a popup window displays "This is the application template and cannot be run alone".

To solve this, I have to build it again, install it again and it works.

Remark
During the first building, LabVIEW asks me for a LabVIEW CD and during the second one, the CD is already present in the CD reader. This is the only difference I can found.

Does anyone had the same problem ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,454 Views)
Hello,

To lunch an LabVIEW Application (exe), you must to install the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine and required hardware drivers separately in order to be able to use the executable.

Have a look at this tutorial:Distributing Applications with the LabVIEW Application Builder

Best regards
Nick_CH
Message 2 of 11
(7,428 Views)
Hi,
  1. If I try to run my executable without LabVIEW Run-Time Engine, there is an error message saying clearly that the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine is not installed.
  2. I have to rebuild my executable 2 or 3 times and suddenly it works (a kind of magic).
  3. The problem is the executable itself. It has nothing to do with the installer.

Does anyone had the same problem ?

What is the solution (if any) ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,372 Views)
I'm getting the same dialog when I run my executable on the development machine (LabVIEW 8.5.1).  So it's definitely not due to the absence of the run time engine.  I rebuilt the executable, and it does the same thing.  Any other ideas, Nick?
Robert Mortensen
CLA, CLED, LabVIEW Champion, Principal Systems Engineer, Testeract
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,211 Views)
The EXE build should not run on any computer that does not have the run-time engines. However, an Installer has the option to add the Run Time Engine, and install it with your EXE. I think to make an installer, you have to compile the EXE first, then add that to the Installer builld. (Maybe this is why it works the second time?)

P.S. Robert, you work in Utah? Im up in SLC, working for a small consulting bus. called AutoCon. I was just checking out the Moore Good Idea's website the other day.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,203 Views)

I noticed that if I turn my DWarns on (LabVIEW.ini, DWarnDialog = TRUE) I get a proptype.cpp (486) DWarn every time I build the executable.  This may be related.  It has already been CARed (ID 111803).

After rebooting my machine, I was able to build and run the executable without the weird dialog.

NI/AE: what conditions are met in the LabVIEW source code to show this dialog?

Steven: I do work in Utah.  MGI is based in Clearfield, but we have clients all up and down the Wasach Front and some across the nation.  You do LabVIEW development for AutoCon down in Salt Lake?  We host every other LabVIEW users group meeting.  You should come next time.

Message Edited by FlamingYawn on 06-04-2008 01:45 PM
Robert Mortensen
CLA, CLED, LabVIEW Champion, Principal Systems Engineer, Testeract
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,193 Views)
Awesome. I'll look into it.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,173 Views)

I am getting the same error message. I did look up on the NI website and forums. I found this link to be releavent. I did get the aplication running when I built it as directed. But I keep on running into this issure very often. I do have labview Runtime Engine installed. I am using Labview 8.0

I did look up my Labview.ini but it did not have DWarnDialog to set the ststua to true

I have had applications running on these machines for like over 2 years now and have never run into this message. I have been seeing this only after the holidays.

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks,

Nevil

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,818 Views)

Sorry for being late to the party, but I've recently come across the "This is the application template and cannot be run alone" message after building an executable.  I'm using LabVIEW 2009 and have tried bundling my dependencies into an .llb and setting the /3GB flag in the boot.ini file as described in the knowledgebase article here.  I've tried rebuilding multiple times without success - always the same message.  Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,295 Views)

I was getting this error over and over on one specific VI I was trying to compile into an application.  I ultimately just tried rebuilding the same VI until it would finally work, which would normally take 12-15 rebuilds, very frustrating.

I eventually rewrote the VI to include some additional features, but I changed two things which made everything much better.  In the first VI, I would have wires spanning multiple frames (in a flat-frame sequence); in the second VI I instead just used local variables.

Also, in the first VI I had a 3D mesh plot, which I removed in the second VI.

I don't know which of the above two changes affected how the application builds, but it works everytime I try to build it now.  Also, the size of the final application dropped drastically (1st VI was ~10 MB, 2nd VI was ~0.6 MB), even though I had more things going on in the second VI.

I hope this information helps someone. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,702 Views)