LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8.5, Subversion 1.4.5, PushOK SVNSCC 1.4.5.7, file locking problem

Hello,

I am using LabVIEW v8.5 with PusOK SVNSCC v1.4.5.7 connecting to a Windows native Subversion repository, SVN version 1.4.5.

I created a working copy to a network drive (Windows 2003 Server Network).

Three times now I have had a problem when I try to check in files. LabVIEW reports that the file is checked out. But when I try to check the file in, SVNSCC reports that the file is locked and cannot complete the action. However, I checked the repository manually via RapidSVN and the file was actually sent to the repository. Also, I cannot overwrite (via save) the working copy of the file

Do you have any explanation for this behavior or perhaps suggestions as to what I am doing wrong. This is very frustrating.

Thank you,

Gary Brown
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,606 Views)
So the problem does not happen everytime that you check files in? Are there similar steps that occur before you check in the file when the error happens?

From what you've described, it seems you are not doing something wrong. In order to try to narrow the problem down, I would suggest using RapidSVN to verify the file is actually checked out before you try to check it in. LabVIEW relies on the SCC provider to update file status information to determine if the file is checked out or in. If I understood what you said correctly, even when you get the error, the check in action seems to perform correctly in the repository, correct? I would suggest also contacting PushOK and asking if they are aware of this issue.
George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,589 Views)
Hi George,

In attempting to answer your question about whether the file status is "Checked Out" prior to performing a "Check In", I believe we have discovered the source of the problem.

I have been checking out working copies to a public area (within the company) of the network where other users and applications (file crawlers) have access to my working copies. In two of the three instances of this problem, an application being run as another user had a lock on one of the files in the ".svn" folder within the working copy folder.

When I tried to perform the "Check In", the repository was properly updated but the working copy of the ".svn" folder could not be updated due to the file lock. Thus, the local ".svn" folder and the repository were no longer in sync and LabVIEW was still reporting that the file was checked out when it had actually been checked in.

To alleviate this issue, I will be creating working copies in my $Home folder to which other users and applications have no access. I will try to remember to report back if it does indeed solve the problem.

Prior to posting here, I did contact PushOK Software about the issue with the exact message I used to initiate this thread. Here is their reply:

********Begin Reply*********

} This is notification e-mail for support ticket 'pst1945'
} Ticket status: Opened Priority: Normal
} You can reply to it directly, or using link http://www.pushok.com/tickets_addmodify.php?id=1945

On our page of compatibility http: // www.pushok.com/soft_scc_compat.php? type=svn we indicate that LabVIEW though should, but it does not support correctly SCC API interface.
We tried to contact developers LabVIEW for resolve of this problem, but it was not possible.
I am sorry, but LabVIEW will not be to work with ours plug-in well.

õîðîøî

*********End Reply*********

Other than this issue, LabVIEW, PushOK SVNSCC and the Subversion server are working well for me. I especially like the ability to view the defferences between the working version of a VI and versions within the repository.

The only other complaint I have is that a project file is required to interact with the repository. I have my LV project files source controlled in the repository and must use an external tool to check out a working copy of the .proj file.

Gary
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,570 Views)
Regarding the response from PushOK. Many SCC providers have lists of IDEs that they claim support or have tested (There is such a list for LabVIEW regarding tested SCC providers). PushOk lists LabVIEW as "not approved" but does say that it "must work". It obviously does and other customers also successfully use PushOK with LabVIEW. I am not aware of contact by PushOK to NI but I will try to contact them to make sure that we're on similar pages.

Regarding this statement:

The only other complaint I have is that a project file is required to interact with the repository. I have my LV project files source controlled in the repository and must use an external tool to check out a working copy of the .proj file.

Gary

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you think you need a project in order to perform SCC operations? Is so, that is not the case. As long as PushOK is configured in LabVIEW appropriately, you can perforce SCC operations outside of a project. You should also be able to check out the file itself.
George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,568 Views)

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you think you need a project in order to perform SCC operations? Is so, that is not the case.                     As long as PushOK is configured in LabVIEW appropriately, you can perforce SCC operations outside of a project. You should also be able to                 check out the file itself.

Hi George,

If you can create a new working copy from within LabVIEW, please show me how because I'm obviously missing something.

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,565 Views)
I guess we are getting our semantics mixed up. When you say "create a new working copy", do you mean checking out a VI from outside of a LabVIEW project?
George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,562 Views)
By "creating a new working copy", I mean pulling a project structure (.lvproj file, subfolders and all included VIs) from a module inside the Subversion repository to a location outside the repository, where it did not previously exist, so I can open the project and work on it.

I guess that one would normally only need to do this once and then perform an update to refresh the working copy to it's state within the repository when one is actively working on the project.

At present , I am using RapidSVN externally to create new working copies of project structures. But then PushOK SVNSCC provides a configuration option for an external GUI repository browser, presumably, for just this purpose.

Gary

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,558 Views)
Ok, I understand now. You are correct that by having a LabVIEW project you can get the latest versions of the contents of your project. Of course to get the latest version of the project, you have to use the SCC client (RapidSVN). Typically, you should use the client to get the initial working copy of your files. From then on, you should be able to manage them from LabVIEW.

I'm glad to hear you're up and running. Thank you for your patience.
George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,554 Views)