From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 7.1 application at Windows 7 has problem to find the USB device.

Hello,

I have generated an executable with LabVIEW 7.1 including NI-VISA runtime and LabVIEW run-time environment.

I have tried to run the application at Windows 7 and it now has problem to find the USB device that we have developed.

The device is correctly connected to the computer as it shows that it received a com-port.

I’m very concerned because it looks like the LabVIEW version 7.1 that we used will not be able to build an executable that is compatible to windows 7 and beyond because of incompatible NI-VISA run-time environment

I found the following overview at NI website:

NI-VISA and LabVIEW Compatibility.png

I also found the following comment somewhere on the NI forum:

“The latest version of VISA does not support LabVIEW 7. The earliest version of NI-VISA that supports Windows 7 is 4.6, and that does not support LabVIEW 7. You need to either upgrade LabVIEW or use an older OS.”

Is this really the only solution or is there may be another possibility to solve by tweaking 🙂

An upgrade for LabVIEW is much too expensive for me at the moment 😞

Actually, I also have LabView 8.6.1 available and already installed at other computer. Unfortunately for this version I have no application builder activated.

I have tried to find how to activate for application builder for LabVIEW version 8.6.1. , but I have difficulties to find if it is still possible to get an activation code and what will it cost.

Is there someone who now a tweak to make 7.1 executable to work with USB device at windows 7, or how to get activation code for application builder for Labview 8.6.1 and what will it cost.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,247 Views)

You've found the answer to your question already.  You're using software that was created years before the OS you're using came out.  It makes sense that it didn't think to add support for the OS as it was likely not even in beta at that point.

Often, you can get the LabVIEW installation to run.  But, the moment you involve drivers you run into a hard time.  As you can see, there isn't a driver set that works with 7.1.  I'd doubt you'd have a driver that works with 8.6.1 either. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B972242574D4BB99862575A7007520CB

You'll see the first supported version was 2009 SP1.  It's possible the drivers that came out for 2009 SP1 would also work with 8.6.1.  But, I wouldn't go into things expecting that.

As far as application builder, if you have a license for that, it's a permanent license.  You'd just need to get your hands on the media for the 8.6.1 version.  If you bought professional 7.1 but something else for 8.6.1, you wouldn't have the access to app builder.

Message 2 of 3
(3,215 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply.

Good to point out that LabVIEW 8.6.1 will also not work for Windows 7. Didn't search for OS compatibility overview.Smiley Embarassed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,203 Views)