LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2016: numpad Enter key ends editing all the time

Solved!
Go to solution

With the latest LabVIEW 2016 update, my numeric pad [Enter] key ends any editing that I'm doing even when typing a comment. This happens regardless of the state of the option setting "End text entry with Enter key".

What's going on and how do I return to the normal "insert line feed" action?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,377 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mysticfree

Hi mysticfree,

isn't this exactly the behaviour we had all the time also with previous LabVIEW versions?

Use the return key (with the standard keys) to get linefeeds in your text!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(3,359 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mysticfree

According to the help file in 2012, that setting "End text entry with Enter key" only applies to the main Enter key (not the keypad Enter).  Checking the box makes the main Enter key function like the keypad Enter, ending text entry. 

Capture.PNG

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,353 Views)

Hi GerdW,

No, I've always been able to key in comments using the Numpad Enter to add line breaks.  This is quite handy if you're typing in a series numbers that need to start a new line.

Yes, I can use the return key.  Or I can type the whole damn thing in a text editor.  I posted this question because an efficient data entry method seems to have disappeared with the latest update to LV2016.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,345 Views)

I don't think there were any changes between LV 2014 and LV 2016.  I just tried in both of them and for both when typing a comment, the enter key on the regular part of the keyboard entered line breaks..  The enter key on the numeric keypad ended the comment.

I don't think I would have ever noticed this as being a problem because I've never had a reason to enter a series of numbers separated by line breaks as a comment before.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,333 Views)

I am not able to enter a new line with the numpad Enter key.  

Check your keyboard settings.  Maybe there is some way to reassign your Numpad Enter key to the standard Enter key????

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,330 Views)