LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2016 Run time error

Hello all,

I'm writing this post to see if any of the other users on here are seeing a similar problem to mine...

When building an exe in LabVIEW 2016 the runtime engine is generating the following error when it starts for the first time, and randomly when started after that.(see attached).  It appears that this error is exactly the same word for word every time I see it.  Pressing OK bypasses the error and starts the program without incident. It's always at the beginning when you run the exe.  I've never seen it during execution.  I've been dealing with this problem for about 6 months now.

Here is what I've tried so far:

1. I'm talking with NI support and (it appears) there are not any other tickets referencing a similar error, I'm still working with them.

2. I've built and run multiple executable on various machines around the office and the error follows. It doesn't appear to care what the exe has in it (i've seen it on basic adder programs and actor framework builds ~200 VIs) and it doesn't care which computer does the compiling; I've tested on two different machines and it still shows up.  The error appears if debugging and 'wait till remote debug connect' option is also checked.  It will pop before my software starts and is waiting for the debug connection.

3. I've moved to the f1 version of the run time.  

4. I've nuked my NI install.  Went into the NI uninstall window and clicked 'remove all'. Reinstalled this morning.

5. I've installed all of the recommended updates from the NI update tool.

As you can see I'm a little frustrated that I can't find a solution to this.  It makes deploying software a nightmare because I never know if and when a customer might see the error and I just have to say 'It's a problem with the runtime engine and I'm working on a solution. It won't effect your program.  Please ignore for right now.'  It makes LabVIEW look bad and I don't like throwing them under the bus, but it does appear to be agnostic of my code, I was convinced when I tested the wait till remote connection function and it still failed.  

Right now I'm at the point that I would like to do a big distribution of code around my company that I can't directly support, my code is ready but I can't get this error to go away.

I've attached a program that I've built that generated the error for me.If you'd like to try it and see if you get the same that would be appreciated.  Unfortunately I can distribute much internal code since it's IP, but I will try to provide any samples I can.  

Thanks for taking the time to read this and let me know if you  have any ideas or questions.

Regards,

Tim

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,205 Views)

edited original post for spellcheck...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,199 Views)

I can't find anything related to an EXE titled "RunOnceIot.exe" on google.

It doesn't seem related to any NI drivers, or the LabVIEW exe file your project creates, or even the Windows operating system. I can find things talking about "runonce.exe" but that seems specific to the behavior of installers, and not this specific item.

Is this the name of the .EXE your other project creates?

If so can you get a screenshot of this error when launching "Application.exe" (the build attached to your post)?

If not can you locate this file on your system?

It seems odd to me that an application error would be popping up for a seemingly unrelated EXE on the system.

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,187 Views)

You are correct about the naming convention,  that is the name of one of the programs I'm seeing the problem on.  Here's the same issue with the application.exe that I posted.

thanks for replying,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,171 Views)

Alright, that makes more sense.

Do any dump files appear in \Documents\LabVIEW Data\LVInternalReports\Application Name\ (Where application name is Application.exe or RunOnceIoT.exe etc)?

Are these systems on the same network?

Do they have the same virus scan software? 

Have you seen this issue on any systems not on this network or without the virus scan?

I'm leaning towards this being some sort of interaction with third party software or a configuration that's shared between these system since I can't find any mentions of this error before.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,149 Views)

Are these systems on the same network?

Yes

Do they have the same virus scan software? 

Yes

Have you seen this issue on any systems not on this network or without the virus scan?

No, though I admit I haven't done a formal check.  I'll get my computer in tomorrow and do some testing on that to see what happens.

Now that you mention it I'm suspect of the virus scan software...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,131 Views)

Here's what the output folder looks like for the location you mentioned....

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,129 Views)

Hmm looks like no dump file is being captured. If something is interrupting the normal launch process of the RTE and LV application that doesn't suprise me.

Good luck investigating on the other machine, let us know what you find.

Message 8 of 9
(3,123 Views)

Thanks for the help.  This is the most progress I've made in several months.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,118 Views)