From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2016 (32bit) crashes when I try to add comments to a Type Def

Solved!
Go to solution

When I add a label text (for comment) to a type def control and move the label text around, LabVIEW 2016 (32bit) crashes.

Just wonder if it happens only with my LabVIEW installation or it is a bug in LabVIEW 2016. 

Thanks.

Ian

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,387 Views)

If you attach the actual TypeDef (.ctl extension) instead of a picture of it, we could test it on our LabVIEW 2016 systems and either (a) verify that, yes, there's something about your code that gives LabVIEW problems (i.e. a "bug"), or (b) "it works for us", suggesting that there is something amiss with your installation.  I'm pretty sure that you'd quickly get a number of independent tests, but we need the Actual TypeDef!

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,342 Views)

Bob

The Type Def Control is attached.

Thanks.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,334 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TulaRen

Thanks.

I'm running on a 64-bit Windows 10 system, with 32-bit LabVIEW 2016 (SP1) installed.  I opened your Control, tested the Cluster by setting the AutoSize option to Vertical (that worked), changed the (mis)spelling of "Label", and tried moving it all around the VI.  No problems at all!

I do not think that you've found a bug/flaw/problem in LabVIEW 2016 (at least as distributed to me).  You might have a bad download, a problem somewhere on the PC you are using, or maybe it really is spelling "Label" as "Lable" (I really doubt this), but as far as I can tell, your code is perfectly valid and robust.

I'm attaching my (minimally) modified version of your Control.  If it crashes again for you, I'd say you almost certainly have a problem on your PC.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,296 Views)

Bob

Thanks for your reply. Interestingly, your "Control 1.ctl" works, I can move "Test Label" around without any issue . I can even change "Test Label" to "Test Lable", it still works:). But if I add a new text and moves it, LabVIEW crashes.

Since everything works on your computer, it must something with my LabVIEW installation. I will try to repair my LabVIEW. 

Thanks again for your help.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,262 Views)

Weird.  I hope someone else tests this, as well, as I don't want to be liable for a bad "lable" label.Smiley Wink  (sorry, couldn't resist ...)

BS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,244 Views)

Bob

Just to add some more info. On my computer, LabVIEW 2016 crashes only if the text label has the "Enable Hyperlinks" item checked in its right-click pull-down menu. If it is uncheck, no crashes.

Have a nice weekend.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,235 Views)